Monsters in Tiaras | Teen Ink

Monsters in Tiaras

By JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

“Contestant 34…” A girl with blond ringlets struts out clutching a sparkling cape concealing her whole body. As she walks she swivels her hips and extends her cape like an eagle would extend its wings. She sheds it exposing a very bikini-like outfit with exotic faux feathers puffing out from her bootie. After wiggling her butt and winking at the judges she struts off the stage. Sounds like a normal pageant, right? Then I probably forgot to mention that the girl under all that make-up and glam is a 3 year-old.

Child pageants have become more popular, and even have their own hit reality show known as “Toddlers in Tiaras,” there are kids younger than 3 who sit through the monstrous transformation, and the whole industry makes a 5 billion dollar profit from it! Here’s why: Entry fees can cost up to 400 dollars, there are $50 professional coaching lessons, a single “glitz” dress can be $4000, and each costume has an average of $300-$500. Now add the cost of flippers (false teeth), hair pieces, make-up, hair stylist, manicures, spray tans, shoes, and props, the list goes on. Now multiply the total of all that by the 100’s of 1000’s of parents who apply their little girls to this.

So the chances of winning are pretty slim, but you know what’s a million times a billion times worse than losing? It’s the moral consequences. You are basically teaching your 3 year-old that “beautiful” means big puffy (revealing) dresses, piles of fake hair, and so much make-up that you give the “I’m-a-clown” impression. 3 year-olds should be out socializing with other kids, and not caring what they look like. They should not be spending their free time going through a MAJOR make-over, and practicing routines. These pageants also create bad attitudes for example: “I think I’m prettier than all the other girls!”

Eventually these pageant kids will retire from the whole industry, but for them the pageant never seems to end. A study conducted in 2005 revealed that pageant kids are more prone to body dissatisfaction; trust issues, impulsive behaviors, and increased feelings of ineffectiveness. Is it worth all your money if your child will most likely experience low self-esteem?

So why do we continue this sick game? Wouldn’t be much better if we buy a cheap Cinderella dress and a $1-$2 plastic tiara? Then your little girl could play princess in a healthier and more appropriate way.

I watched the show and I was disgusted. To me 3 year-olds in natural beauty pageant are alright, I do not mean to offend anyone. Please comment. :)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

No problemo!!! :D

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

If you happen to have the time , stop by and read my latest submission: I Refuse to be a Stereotype.

Thanks!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you for reading anything of yours you'd like me to read? :D

~Hope. Faith. Love~
a distant memory.~

Excellent article , and unfortunately true. I wish little girls could just be little girls.Great fact and opinion as well.

5/5

Goldenheartbeat SILVER, Murphy, Texas
you're welcome :)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

THANK You :D

Goldenheartbeat SILVER, Murphy, Texas

You're absolutely right. It's horrible for parents to put their kids through that. They say 'be yourself! That's all that matters!' and then they shoo them off to the stage wearing a glittery bikini that someone so young shouldn't even think of wearing.

This is an excellent article. It shows the parents who do put their child through the competitions what they're doing to them and how this will effect their child forever.

The anger you feel over this subject is evident in the words of this, making it even better. Fantastic work.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

omg thank you and I totally agree with you!!! Thanks for reading!!! :D

Steph0804 GOLD said...
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

This is absolutely sickening. How can parents say, "It's the inside that counts," and put their toddlers through this? They're practically exploiting them for fame and prize money. I think this piece will be very effective in spreading awareness if it's published in the teenink magazine :)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

I hope so too, that's good your mom could see through it!!! :) Thanks for reading!!! :D

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes SILVER, Sunnyvale, Texas

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
- C. S. Lewis

It breaks my heart to see those children on Toddlers and Tiaras, because I used to be in that predicament. Unlike the other mothers, my mom eventually saw through the act and pulled me out of there before the situation could become worse. I'm just praying that other mothers see how damaging pageants are to young girls. :(

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thanks so much :D

paige14 GOLD said...
paige14 GOLD, Portsmouth, Ohio

Say what you need to say--John Mayer

I absolutely agree! It's absolutely sick what these children are put through. And not to mention what they will probably put their children through as well. This piece was very insightful and well thought out, although I do agree those two lines (100s of 1000s) and millions of billions) do seem awkward, but overall, very good!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

You can't edit things that are already published.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Ok thank you!!!!!!! Do have any idea how to change this?

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

It could be something like: But do you know what's infinitely worse?

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you for reading any suggestions of what the line should say? :D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Excellent work!  I am also disgusted with Toddlers in Tiaras.  It should be considered child abuse, what these mothers do to their poor children!  I agree with nimuengale about the line that needs to be changed.  Also, when you say "...100's of 1000's..." it would be easier to read if you simply spelled out the number.  Other than that, excellent article!

1224L0v3 SILVER, Richmond, California
No prob, my pleasure!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you, how do I revise something though without totally deleting it?  Thanks for the feedback!!!! :D