Little Richard | Teen Ink

Little Richard

Little Richard is Rock N’ Roll. Richard had many nicknames, such as the “The Architect of Rock N' Roll” and “The Real King of Rock N' Roll”. Little Richard was inspired by Billy Wright and Roy Brown. He inspired The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. Richard played the piano and sang to gain his fans. He was a black man that changed the life of many people; he shaped Rock N’ Roll to what it is today. This is his life story.

Richard Wayne Penniman, better known as Little Richard, was born on December 5, 1932 in Macon, Georgia. Richard grew up singing gospel music and blues. He was the third child of 12, and as a child, he and his siblings had a musical group named the “Penniman Singers”. They preformed at local churches, but nothing more than that. Richard always sought the church, when he was 10 he wanted to be a preacher. Richard dropped out of school in grade nine and soon preformed at the Bailey’s 81 Theatre in Georgia. While performing there, he met many rhythm and blues stars. One of them was Billy Wright. Wright helped Richard get a recording contract with RCA (Radio Corporation of America). Richard recorded four songs, they went nowhere nationally, but a few local radio stations played some of them. Soon Richard was reduced to washing dishes to support himself. Finally in 1954 Richard sent a tape that he recorded with his band called the ‘Upsetters’ to Specialty Records. As a result, ‘Tutti Frutti’ was shown to the States. Within a month of its release, Tutti Frutti sold 200 000 copies, and rose to number 2 on Billboards Rhythm and Blues chart. Tutti Frutti was Richard’s first big hit and his signature tune. But when Pat Boone sang his song, Pat’s was more popular because he was a white artist.

Richard began a new way of living, he moved to Hollywood! Although he received a small percentage of the total money for his songs, Richard recorded many other songs including “Long Tall Sally”, “Good Golly Miss Molly” and “Slippin’ and Slidin’”. In 1957, Little Richard suddenly abandoned Rock N’ Roll for religion. He attended Oakwood College, Huntsville Alabama. Richard soon married Ernestine Campbell in 1959 (they were divorced in 1961). He began recording gospel music; but finally, Little Richard began a Rock N’ Roll comeback tour in Britain in 1962. In 1969, Little Richard appeared at that year’s Atlantic Pop Festival in Toronto. He was amazing. This reentry into fame triggered his bad habits from before. Richard began to drink and started abusing drugs. But, in 1975, Richard’s brother, Tony, died. This shock made Richard once again turn to religion and stop abusing drugs and stop drinking. In 1986, Little Richard was admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Little Richard #8 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. As resent as February 2008, Little Richard preformed at the 50th Grammy Awards. He continues to perform today, at the age of 75. Little Richard has influenced generations of Rock N’ Roll artists.