My Mother, the Teenager | Teen Ink

My Mother, the Teenager

I’ve just recently noticed, though I’ve been around her all of my life, that my mother acts more like a teenager than me, her sixteen year old daughter. It never really bothered me. I just recently started thinking about it when my family and I were in the car on our way to pay a bill of some sort. I looked around and my mother had all of the windows rolled down and the sunroof open. Letting all of the air from the outside world inside of the vehicle. I was getting rather irritated due to the fact that I had just swallowed an insect of some sort. Hip-hop music was blaring through the speakers, making the car shake a bit. I was just thankful that I happened to have my mp3 player with me, considering hip-hop is my least favorite genre of music.

I began to look around at this moment, and I realized, my mother acts more my age than I do. She listens to the “popular” music, of which I dislike because most bands let it get to their heads when they have just one song that gets onto the charts. She had the attitude that most teenagers have. My friends got along with her better than they got along with me. They probably thought that we switched brains or something of the sort.

I am still unable to comprehend how different we are. She listens to hip-hop while I listen to instrumental music. She watches reality television, while I can’t stand any of the fake drama that it brings along.

It absolutely baffles me how much easier she relates to teenagers my age than I do. I suppose I’ll just have to accept the fact that my mother is in fact a teenager at heart. I might as well try to learn from her. My mother, the teenager. Who knew?

ERFisher said...
ERFisher, Dublin, Ohio
0 articles 1 photo 1 comment

I don't know, you choose!

I remember this when it first got placed on here!!!

MR.AWESOME said...
hey caitlin!!! love it!! write more!!! and i'll read more... btw i'm texting u about this as we speak...

Emma T said...
on Sep. 8 2008 at 12:05 am
Your not getting the point. You think this is something great. Kids do not like it when thier parent take their friends from them. A true parent would not be saying rock on, in fact they would be finnaly understanding what they have done wrong and then apologizing to them.

As for you, I feel for you. I wish your mother would grow up, after all she has had her childhood and teenage days.

Some parents think that being cool is acting stupid and immature. When will adults act more like adults.

Feeling sorry for you. I personnaly would not be able to live like that. I have a caring mother. She is a little cooky at times, but then again she always knows when to act like an adult. Especialy around my friends. Have you ever tried talking to her about your situation? Perhaps she is just trying to play it cool for you girl. Maybe she doesn't want to let you down. Me and my mother have a wonderful relationship, unlike alot of teens out there now.

TARBABY said...
AWESOME, SOUNDS A LOT LIKE ME WHEN I WAS YOUNGER........WAY BACK WHEN, MY CHILDREN'S FRIENDS HAD MORE FUN WITH ME AND THEIR FATHER, AND WE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.....ROCK ON

I have the same problem. I can not stand my mother. sometimes I wish I could just tell her to grow up. After all I am the teen she already had her chance at being young. Why does she think she can ignore me and who is she really kidding? My mother is in her early 40's and my father died when I was 3. I often wonder myself if he were alive would he still be with her? Did she act like this then? Is she going through her mid life crises. I wish I had another family to escape to. Glad I am not alone.

BrianW said...
caitlin - this is awesome. way to go!!!!!