My Mother, the Teenager | Teen Ink

My Mother, the Teenager

August 5, 2008
By Anonymous

I’ve just recently noticed, though I’ve been around her all of my life, that my mother acts more like a teenager than me, her sixteen year old daughter. It never really bothered me. I just recently started thinking about it when my family and I were in the car on our way to pay a bill of some sort. I looked around and my mother had all of the windows rolled down and the sunroof open. Letting all of the air from the outside world inside of the vehicle. I was getting rather irritated due to the fact that I had just swallowed an insect of some sort. Hip-hop music was blaring through the speakers, making the car shake a bit. I was just thankful that I happened to have my mp3 player with me, considering hip-hop is my least favorite genre of music.

I began to look around at this moment, and I realized, my mother acts more my age than I do. She listens to the “popular” music, of which I dislike because most bands let it get to their heads when they have just one song that gets onto the charts. She had the attitude that most teenagers have. My friends got along with her better than they got along with me. They probably thought that we switched brains or something of the sort.

I am still unable to comprehend how different we are. She listens to hip-hop while I listen to instrumental music. She watches reality television, while I can’t stand any of the fake drama that it brings along.

It absolutely baffles me how much easier she relates to teenagers my age than I do. I suppose I’ll just have to accept the fact that my mother is in fact a teenager at heart. I might as well try to learn from her. My mother, the teenager. Who knew?