Satellite | Teen Ink

Satellite

By Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"You must give up a life you’d planned in order to have the life that’s waiting for you." ~ Joseph Campbell

My mom went out to get the mail, just like any other day. But unlike most days, there was a letter for me. And that letter was from The Tulsa World, the local newspaper. “Open it!” My mom said excitedly.

I opened the envelope to see “Dear Student, Congratulations! We would like to invite you to join Satellite, the Tulsa World’s weekly teen section.” That was all I needed to read before getting excited. I was going to get to write, for a real paper!

I was thrilled, but it didn’t completely hit me until I walked into that first meeting that I was really going to get to write for Satellite. At the meeting it felt a bit award at first, with me not knowing anyone. After a little bit I started to feel like I was in a place I belonged. Everyone was suggesting story ideas, and I could tell they were as pumped as I was about writing.

That night -- after the meeting- when I checked my e-mail, I saw my first “Satellite Assignment” sitting in my inbox. Okay, so it was something that all the Satellite Correspondents get to write a little on. But still it was my first assignment. I read the e-mail two times that night, and then a few more times the next day.

Needless to say I love writing for Satellite! You should visit our web-site, http://www.tulsaworld.com/lifestyle/satellite/