Bad Ad | Teen Ink

Bad Ad

By Madeline Harvey BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Madeline Harvey BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

This ad is for a mascara ad called “Clump Crusher.” This ad shows a large, lime green mascara brush, and underneath the brush lime green bottle. Next to the bottle, there is a small picture of a white woman’s eye with perfect long eye lashes and lime green eye shadow around the whole eye using the mascara.

The company chose the color green to get the attention because the background is black, so it can stand out. In addition, green reminds us of envy and money, so the consumers will feel like if they use this product, others will be envious of them.

Also, the picture explains that it “loads on the volume” and “combs out the clumps.” On the left side of the ad, it says “200% more volume, ZERO clumps, even after 30 strokes.” It is a new brand of mascara from COVERGIRL. Underneath the name it is introducing the new COVERGIRL Janelle Monae, and explaining that she is an award winning artist who sang “Tightrope” and “Cold War,” following with COVERGIRL’s motto, “easy breezy beautiful COVERGIRL.”

To get the attention from customers, companies use persuasion techniques. One persuasion technique that COVERGIRL uses is Explicit Claims, which means they are being overdramatic with their claims. In this ad, it says “200% more volume, ZERO clumps even after 30 strokes.” This could be argued with asking if this was scientifically proven or only a rough estimation. Stating that it does not clump after 30 strokes, women of all ages will want to try to see if the claims are correct. It also does not state the price for one bottle, which is $6.94.

Another persuasion technique this company uses is New. Mascara is a product constantly being transformed into a new product that is bigger and better than the last. In this ad, it explains that it is the “new clump crusher.” In the picture, it is showing a demonstration of how the mascara is not creating any clumps while adding volume to your eye lashes.

The last persuasion technique that COVERGIRL uses is Card Stacking. Card Stacking means they will only partially explain the product and make the ad misleading to more consumers. In the Clump crusher’s ad, it is giving us an absolute claim using “zero clumps.” As mascara gets older, it begins to clump by itself in the bottle. In this ad it does not explain if the mascara will stay clump free forever. Also, in the demonstration, it shows that the mascara brush is lime green. When you purchase mascara, you can buy them in different colors. Once you put the brush in the mascara bottle, it becomes the color that you bought; it does not stay lime green. The last use of card stacking in this ad is in the bottom right corner in small, white words saying, “Lashes styled with lash inserts” or in others words, they are fake eye lashes.

In this COVERGIRL ad, it draws girls in to but their new product to make their eye lashes appear “perfect” and attractive. Girls want to look beautiful on the inside and out and having the right make up can help them achieve it. Looking good can make you feel good, so using the new and improved Clump Crusher could do just that. Putting the picture of the girl applying the mascara to her eye lashes help the company show the potential buyers how their product works.

COVERGIRL fails to show the essential information in the ad. Many wonder how much mascara is and where they can find it in what stores. Also, people may wonder how this product is made and if it was tested on animals. Being COVERGIRL helps this product because it is well known, more people will trust in their products.

This bad ad is focused more on women of all ages that wear makeup, but not just women can wear it. It could offend some men who choose to wear makeup. This advertisement was found in Seventeen in the April 2013, which is also more focused on women. A stereotype that is also used in this ad is telling women that they “need” to wear make up to be pretty and accepted into society. Not all women choose to wear makeup because of the hassle or the price.

In conclusion, this company uses many persuasive techniques to make a consumer want to invest in their products. The use of these techniques exaggerates and makes false assumptions of their new product. But if any consumer studies this ad carefully, they will see the blemishes, they will think twice about buying this product.