The Totem Pole Of My Life......In a Nut Shell | Teen Ink

The Totem Pole Of My Life......In a Nut Shell

By NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois
NizZzy1 PLATINUM, Arrowsmith, Illinois

Like Moves On
Things Happen
I am my shadow self

My Totem Pole
Totem poles are originally the creation of the Pacific Northwest Indians. Most totem poles were created to symbolize a person or that tribe’s life. Other then that they were used as funeral purposes or grave markers. In the book Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikarlsen, a delinquent boy named Cole Mathews carves a totem pole as a part of his resurrection. At first he doesn't know what to carve on his totem pole, but Edwin tells him, “Carve anything you want. Your totem is your story, your search, and your past. Everybody has their own. That’s why you dance the dances. That’s why you live life - to discover and create your own story” (Mikaeksen 183). As he learns thi, he carves his pole based on the animals he learns from everyday. If I were to carve a totem pole, I would carve a cross, a drum, and a Chevy logo.

A cross to me symbolizes the many things in my life. I may not be as religious I should be, but I am very grateful for all the things I have been given . God to me is a recurring thing. I do believe that he is there always and always will. However there are the “what if moments” that appear in my head. My mom has to be the most Christian person in my whole family, slightly because of the fact that she ends up going to Church every week and does all the events and potlucks. Dad and I stay home and sleep in on the one day of the week that we can, unless it is a holiday such as Christmas, Palm Sunday or Thanksgiving. My cross is the only piece of jewelry that stays on my chain on my neck and hopefully it will be tattooed on my neck when i get older because it holds so many memories to me and what it represents.
Another logo on my totem would be the Chevy logo. Which stands for power, strength, and long lasting ideals. It shows that I can have the strenght to do anything I wish to do with my life. I’ve always been a fan of Chevy brand cars and vehicles. It symbolizes the strength and the idea that i can be powerful, reliable and the best of the best.
The final symbol to me on my totem pole is my bass drum, which symbolizes speed but also percussion through all of life’s challenges. Being a drummer helps me realize that I should live at a quarter measure at a time. My escape from this world is the music I play, create and listen to. Many types of that music fall into that category: metal, country, rap, hip-hop, and some blues . I listen to many types varying on how I'm feeling. Music to me is a way to get rid of anger, stress, depression, and just everything in general. It also allows me to express me.

In conclusion, Cole finished his totem pole learning that all things have a beginning and an end. Like myself I know I have a beginning I’m living to be here to see what tomorrow holds for me. The impression my totem pole would give to me is that I am quite, musically talented, and there for people whenever they need me. I hope to have people see that I’m not the thug everyone thinks i am. If someone studied my totem pole, I believe that they’d learn he’s a music nut of his generation that shows his power to uphold his statues in this world like a Chevy and I’m the one of the few Christians that see my world this way.

I wrote this in the beginning of the year for English 3 and I thought it should be added to my collection as well and I kinda figured why not. Its my totem pole of what describes me the best. I hope I share some similar things with others that appreciate the same stuff as me.