Rival to friend to rival | Teen Ink

Rival to friend to rival

By PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas
PK4evr ELITE, Allen, Texas

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then watch everyone wonder how you did it!

I know what it’s like to make friends. I know what it’s like to lose friends. I even know how it’s like when your rival becomes your friend and then hates you more than ever, which is precisely my story.

It started out as a joke- using email to “stalk” him, which I shouldn’t have done. I made him give a CD back to his best friend, but he found out the next day through one of my famous careless mistakes that it was me- his stand partner in orchestra. We were forever trying to beat each other, which was unfair because I had only played for a short amount of time compared to his ten years.

The next crucial part was after I had become single again and I had noticed that he and his best friend weren’t talking. I asked him what was wrong and he told me that it was none of my business. I pointed out that it wasn’t any of his business to ask me why I had broken up with my boyfriend.

Somewhere, I got the insanely random idea of swapping stories. It turned out to be something stupid- but a deal’s a deal, and I told him everything. I was surprised that he was so good at giving advice- he was honestly the last person I expected to be that way. Basically, he helped me after I was deserted and friendless. Even though I knew what he was going to say, it still helped me know I was right.

He even stood up to my ex-boyfriend for me. I was amazed, because we were never actually friends. In fact, I wondered why I was telling him everything- and just like that, he said, “Ok, fine. We’re friends” and kept giving me advice like it was no big deal. I thought that he had absolutely hated me after last year- because I had managed to beat him just once.

Everything went very well for quite some time. Some time, in fact, until my new friends told me that he liked me. I denied it for a long time- he did as well- and then I gave up. He was acting so nice. He usually is mean and hateful, but everything he said to me was nice, friendly, and kind. He even talked to me at school about little things, and I taught him the Rubik’s Cube.

But then he started backing away and getting scared. He knew that I liked him. I just knew that he knew. The only reason I ever liked him, however, was because I thought that he liked me. And even now, I’m not so sure if he did or not. There’s evidence for both views. Frankly, I’m disappointed that he allowed such a little, petty thing to come between us. I’m not saying that I was right, I’m saying that he could have been more forgiving.

I realized this- don’t let a relationship or possibility of a relationship come between a beautiful friendship. Don’t let your friendship be like mine was, because there are some things you can’t take back.

I purposely didn't mention this person's name to protect the innocent. Please respect that.

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

It's really good, but expand it a bit more. Like ShaynaPhelps and banana said, give us some back story, and show rather than tell. I also think the title could be something different and less revealing, but that's just my suggestion.

banana said...
There's a lot of potential here, but it could still use some development. Instead of telling us what happened, show us. I couldn't envision any of this in my head, and showing us what happened would help that.

ShaynaPhelps SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
I thought this was okay, but it nedds some work. The story sounds interesting, but you need to tell the backstory of what happned when you "e-mailed stalked" him. What was the petty thing he let come between you guys? I am confused about it. I like the message this ends to people but you need to explain some things out. Take a step back and re-read it like you are the audience and you didn't write it and the things that need explaining will become clear. Its great that you are expressing yourself through writing and I encourage you to continue. Good Job.