My Biggest Influence | Teen Ink

My Biggest Influence

April 3, 2009
By Chris Mortimer BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
Chris Mortimer BRONZE, Montclair, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The people who have the biggest influence on me are my friends. We talk about everything ranging from clothes to the people we just hate and can’t stand. They can always relate and I can trust them with what my opinions are. If I am feeling sad or down I can always talk to them to make my day just a little bit easier. No matter when or what my friends will always be there for me.
My friends and I always want to help each other out. If we get in a fight with someone else they can always help me out, and I can return the favor. When I have a dispute with my parents, I talk to them to calm me down and just get me away from the situation. Recently one of my friends said something that another person found out, but wasn’t meant to hear it. Some of my other friends began to get mad at him and I tried to help him out by telling them he didn’t really mean it and the commotion stopped. Another example is when my friend got kicked out of his house by his mom. He was really sad at first because he didn’t want to stay with his dad so he asked if he could spend a night or two at my house and I let him since he needed me to help him out. This is just one reason that I am so grateful that I have my friends.
I also like to ask my friends for advice and to help me make choices. This year my dad asked me if I wanted an Xbox 360 or Play Station 3 for Christmas. At first I wasn’t sure, because a couple of my friends have each one. After asking them which they liked better I decided an Xbox 360 would be better because of Xbox Live and because more of them had them. I also like to ask my fiends if they think a pair of shoes is nice before I buy them. I think it is best to ask a friend or two for their opinion on most of the decisions I have to make.
A third time where my friends can help me is when I get bored. I am almost always bored when I am at my house. Since I get bored a lot I am always either talking to my friends or with them, hanging out. Most of my friends are bored a lot as well so we can always talk to each other. My friends can also give me advice on how to lessen my boredom, like play videogames or go on the internet.
I know that my friends will always be there for me. If I need their opinion on something or just someone to talk to they will help me out. I honestly don’t know what I would do without my friends.


The author's comments:
This memoir is about my friends, the people who are always there to help me out.