Actress/Singer Coco Jones | Teen Ink

Actress/Singer Coco Jones

February 15, 2012
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


Coco Jones has recently taken the world by storm. She has competed in multiple singing competitions and found herself a part of Radio Disney's NBT. And she has made a name for herself in the acting world by joining the cast of the Disney Channel's sketch comedy, So Random! In June, she will be starring in the new Disney Channel Original Movie, Let It Shine.

I was recently given the opportunity to interview Coco for Teen Ink.

Rachel- Tell us about yourself.

Coco Jones- My name is Coco Jones. My birthday is January 4th and I’m 14 years old. I was born in South Carolina, but moved to Tennessee when I was one. My father played professional football for nine years. I have two brothers and a younger sister. My favorite food is Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp. I love to work out and lift weights. I taught myself to sew this past year.

RH- How did you first become interested in the entertainment arts?

CJ- I would watch The Cheetah Girls, That’s So Raven and Hannah Montana on TV and I would beg my mom to let me act. I also always loved to sing.

RH- You have been a part of several competitive contests with your singing; what has being a part of such taught you?

CJ- It taught me to always give my best every time I go on stage or in front of a camera. You cannot give just 80%, it has to be 110%. It has also taught me that as long as I give it my all, win or lose, that is what counts. Sometimes in competitions you are just not what the judges have in mind, so you have to continue to believe in yourself regardless, or the disappointment can really hurt.

RH- You have appeared in several sketches on Disney's So Random!; what was your reaction when you found out you'd be joining the cast?

CJ- My whole family screamed! I had watched “Sonny With A Chance” from the beginning, so I was already familiar with everyone on the show. It was so unbelievable that I would get to work with all of them. It was everything I could have ever dreamed!

RH- What has been your favorite sketch and character that you've played?

CJ- This sketch has not aired yet so I can’t give it all away… but I play a teenage genie. You will not believe the costume and the entire skit. It is so funny.

RH- Who is your favorite sketch and character of the other cast-members?

CJ- Oh, I love Angie (the Shin model), the “Let’s do it in Spanish” man, and of course Janet and the Janettes!

RH- Who from the cast were you most excited to meet?

CJ- EVERYONE! I remember going into my dressing room with my mom and we were doing silent screams, high fives, and dancing around. It was crazy! And they were all so nice and so funny, even off camera.

RH- Describe a typical day on set.

CJ- I would get up early, head in and have breakfast. We would go over the sketches from the script, and then I would bounce back and forth between the school room and the set to read through another skit. We’d have lunch (which was always fabulous), go into hair and makeup, back to set for more rehearsal, to school, then wardrobe and finally- perform it! It was great and I loved every second of it.

RH- What can fans expect on upcoming sketches?

CJ- Look for the genie sketch, Janet and the Janettes will be back, and much more!

RH- Are you currently working on an album?

CJ- Yes, I am! I am coming out with some great, new music. Something to really make everyone get up and dance. I am also looking forward to doing some powerful ballads. Once the albums are finished I plan on putting on some concerts with a lot of energy and fun.

RH- What is your favorite song?

CJ- It changes all the time, but currently it is “Girls Talkin ‘Bout” by Mindless Behavior.

RH- If you could work alongside any singer/producer, who would it be?

CJ- will-i-am or Missy Elliott

RH- What other projects are you currently working on?

CJ- “Let It Shine”, a Disney Original Movie premiering in June. I play a character named ROXXIE. In the movie you will get to see me not only act, but also sing, dance and rap! The movie is awesome and the sound track is great.

I am also doing several concerts. I will be in Kissimmee, FL in March, Sacramento, CA in April, and Arizona in May.

RH- What advice do you have for aspiring musicians/actors?

CJ- Never give up on what you want, work hard and do not let what others say stop you. Nothing really worth having comes easy, but once you get there, you will know all of the hard work was worth it!