Whoopi! | Teen Ink

Whoopi! MAG

By Lindsay Kronengold BRONZE, Jericho, New York
Lindsay Kronengold BRONZE, Jericho, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   On February 14th, I had the chance of a lifetime. I knew that Whoopi Goldberg was a very special person and an accomplished actor, but I never expected her to be such an open and insightful person.

Before the interview, we waited anxiously in a small classroom at Emerson College. I did not know how she would react, or if she would even know why we were there. When Whoopi came in, there was a warm and friendly feeling from the start. She actually wanted to know about each of us, what we had done to bring us here, and asked about our backgrounds. I thought the interview would concentrate on her when in fact it began with us.

The best part of the day was hearing what Whoopi had to say. She took the time to connect with each of us in a special way. In addition to being extremely personable, she was deeply profound. She answered our questions honestly and from the heart with no topic off-limits.

When the interview was over, she wrote each of us a special note. Then, Whoopi asked us to sign our piece of writing. I could not believe that I was actually signing something for Whoopi Goldberg. It seemed ironic that the first time I ever signed an autograph, it was for a celebrity!


The time I spent with Whoopi Goldberg was inspiring. I have contemplated everything she said and know I learned a great deal from her. She offered us many thought-provoking opinions about life. The funny thing is, I think she learned a lot from me and the other students, too. This experience enabled me to believe that an intelligent and honest person with a kind and thoughtful nature can achieve success and fame.

Thank you, Whoopi Goldberg, and thank you, Teen Ink!