Mr. Tim Tower | Teen Ink

Mr. Tim Tower

By lolaelahi BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lolaelahi BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

On the first day of my second-semester junior year, I had no idea that I would walk into a class that would change my life forever. The class I walked into was Mr. Tower’s sociology class, at Arrowhead High School. The classroom was right in the middle of the school, a prime spot in my opinion. Mr. Tower had the desks in his classroom laid out in rows with his desk spread parallel to them. Right next to his desk, there sat one student desk next to the wall in the very front row. That desk would soon be mine.

I’ve never been much of a talker in class but in his class, I answered the questions. And it felt awesome. Mr. Tower’s class is the one class that I wish I could go back and take again. Since I sat kitty-corner to his desk he always approached me with a “What’s up?” or “How’s it going?” His class was the only one I truly looked forward to every single day. He was able to make me feel engaged in his class and that he cared about me and my education.

He also seemed to be one of the only teachers that cared to make their class interesting. Mr. Tower would have us watch videos, get our opinions on things, make reenactments of a situation going on, and just have fun days. There were class days where we played games, got to have a class discussion, or go up and write things on the smartboard. One class period he turned off the lights and had us listen to an old recording of when people thought aliens had landed on planet earth. He then promptly had us close our eyes while he walked around with a life-size glow in the dark alien head.

No matter what we did in class he always tried to make everyone interested. Then on the last day of school, he had us all come together to take a picture with him. This would be another picture of a class of students to add to the hundred others covering his wall.

I hope he knows how much being in his class meant to me. His class is what made me choose to minor in sociology in college. Thank you, Mr. Tower, for being an amazing teacher and teaching me a class I will never forget.