My English Teacher | Teen Ink

My English Teacher

By NotMyActualName GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
NotMyActualName GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin

You're only out of options when you stop looking for them.

My teacher Mr. Gierach was the first teacher I had at Arrowhead Union High School. I had him for my first hour class, which was English 9. He knew that we all were pretty nervous about going into high school and so he spent the first couple of days just doing ice breakers with us with him mostly talking about his own experience in high school when he was young as well as just his overall experience as a teacher. Our first couple of assignments were also just ice breaker related by making the assignments be about what we like to do. Finally when we got to the first book it was a simple book that he loved called “Of Mice and Men'' and he would get a classmate to read a few lines from the book each chapter and we read along in class to try to familiarize ourselves with the class and with the book. At the end of that unit, we even watched the movie since he loved the book so much. Other units were pretty similar with us starting off with reading the first couple chapters together as a whole class and group. There truly is a lot we did in Mr. Gierach’s class but this was my first year of high school and so that was long ago. Thank you Mr. Gierach for being an amazing English teacher.