Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By allisonshalhoup BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
allisonshalhoup BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ―Theodore Roosevelt.

Lisa Heartz is an English teacher at Bedford Senior High School in Monroe County, Michigan. She is full of never-ending hope and life. Out of all the educators I have had in the past, Mrs. Heartz is the most energetic, thoughtful, and has the best personality. From the moment I stepped into her classroom, I knew that I would be welcomed and have someone to support me. 

Since I was little, I never liked to read or write. That only got worse throughout my middle school and high school years. Up until this year, I was just an ordinary student who would get decent, but not the best grades in English. Mrs. Heartz opened my eyes by helping me become not just a better, more efficient writer, but she has made me a well-rounded person. 

She allows you to have creative freedom. When we submit our work, she gives us feedback on how to make it better and she explains why she does it as well.  She will constantly leave us positive messages and comments to encourage us and tell us when we are doing a good job. 

Mrs. Heartz works with her students to make them better, as well as pushes her students to be better because she knows that everyone can always be better if they have the right person supporting them. 

Lisa Heartz is the most deserving of the Educator of the Year award because she is inspiring and has shown me, and many other students the reasons why they can love school. She has an obvious fondness for her students and her job and is very good at transferring her positive energy to the youth that she teaches. Mrs. Heartz is an amazing role model and is constantly pushing her students to be the best they can be. She has the power to help adolescents reach their full potential, and that is the best gift a teacher can give.

I wanted to show my appreciation for this lovely teacher by doing something other than just telling her. She is an immaculate role model to me and many other students. Mrs. Heartz, you are the best teacher I have ever had.