Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By NoellePerry SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
NoellePerry SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Tim Tower- Sociology Teacher
By Noelle P., Lisbon, WI

Entering senior year may seem like an easy task, but that’s not even close to the truth. Although you get the advantages of finally being head of the school, there’s still stress to be dealt with: choosing a college, applying, and keeping up your GPA. But most important is deciding what profession you want to enter for the rest of your life. Mr. Tower, my sociology teacher, helped me answer this question, and I’m ecstatic about my decision.

For my whole middle/high school career, I’ve been interested in psychology and sociology. My parents expect success from me, and they were planning on medical school. Sure, that’s great for some people, but not for me. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I knew I didn’t want to attend medical school. When I entered Mr. Tower’s class, I didn’t expect to learn half as much as I did.

In each class of Sociology, the topics would change. We’d examine the culture and lifestyle of the world, so it was never the same, boring thing. But one thing that didn’t change was Mr. Tower’s passion. I could see the excitement in his eyes, and it inspired me. This caused me to expand my knowledge of sociology and psychology. I now know that I want to major in psychology or sociology, and minor in the other.

Mr. Tower, mixed with his intriguing lesson plans, made for a great class, and an even better life experience. He would relate the lessons to us and himself. He went to the college I plan on attending, so he gave me advice about my applications and the city life. His compassion toward his job is incredible. He would try and see things through his student’s shoes, like a friend would. He treats his students like adults, which rarely happens. I felt like an intelligent, respected, human being in his class.

The fears I had about the future have dissipated dramatically, thanks to Mr. Tower. I can’t think of another teacher who has inspired me to not fear the future, but to embrace it. Now that I’m more confident in myself and my decisions, I know I’ll find a career I’m passionate about. But I can only hope to be as passionate as Mr. Tower.