Mr. Michael Hall: Educator of The Year | Teen Ink

Mr. Michael Hall: Educator of The Year

By SeanStraka GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
SeanStraka GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

“GOOD (pause for effect). AFTERNOON.” The deep bellowing shout echoed around the room, like his canadian Goose call.
Walking in to my sophomore year Biology class ninth hour, I didn’t know much about my teacher. Mr. Michael Hall was just another teacher that my older cousin enjoyed. As I walk by him, he stood like a worn Stone Statue, his gaze locked down the hall at a mystery person. A stagnant face and rigid posture. I get inside and lay my head on my desk. Two minutes later, my peace shatters.
“GOOD AFTERNOON, welcome boys and girls to BIOLOGY. I will be your educator today, so pay attention.”
I was shocked to attention by his overwhelming voice. I knew from then on, Mr. Hall’s Class will be more of an experience over than anything else.

Mr. Hall is an acquired taste (yeah that sounds weird). He doesn’t let slackers be. If you are behind, you are who he quizzes most.
“Blake! What is the chemical formula for monosaccharides?”
Blake plasters a nervous smile on his face. “Ummmmm I don't kno-”
“THAT boys and girls is why you shouldn’t play soccer, look at soccer, ‘ooh lets kick a ball and be slackers’. This is a game I like to call, things you should know if you are not a slacker.”
Mr. Hall likes to give people a tough time, and doesn’t give out praise very easily. “You shouldn’t need praise for what you should know,” he always says when a ignorant teen boasts about his or her good grade.

“I am going to put you all in groups, purely at random. And I want you to get to know each other. Get an interesting fact about everyone. Nothing boring, like I enjoy Soccer.”
Mr. Hall wants everyone to get involved, and give the task their all. He wants this not just with the group, but also in studying, work, and labs. For every lab he keeps his eyes sharp like a red-tailed hawk hunting for a field mouse. If you aren’t getting involved, he leaps to action to get them into the lab.

Three life science classes later, I have gotten to know and love Mr. Hall’s classes. I always get challenged and learn a lot from Mr. Hall. Did your teacher ever teach you about the number of ducks you can shoot, how gizzard tastes, how to tell the difference between the female mallard and the black duck, and that bufflehead duck tastes bad. Some very duck based lessons.
I enjoyed life science because of my father. He taught me a bit about trees and the lives of animals when I was younger. I continued to enjoy the life science light of things since then. Mr. Hall has strengthened my love for the life sciences. He adds to my enthusiasm for the courses. Though sitting in my seat I may not show it, Mr hall is the best teacher I could ask for. He has a fantastic way of dragging my attention to his lessons, and he makes learning hands on and full of interesting specimens and visuals.

2 years and three classes in, and Mr. Hall Makes my learning experience something special.