Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 7, 2015
By Brianna16 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Brianna16 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I was little I used to be shy. I know it's surprising because now I’m the loudest person in the room, but I was shy when I moved to Richmond School from Waukesha. I was just starting fourth grade and my teacher, Mrs. Siegman, was the best. I was excited to start fourth grade because I felt like Mrs. Siegman could help me fit in--and she did. Not only did she teach the curriculum, but she also taught me to put myself out there and to care for others.

Mrs. Siegman always had a smile on her face. She was one of the happiest people I ever met. Walking into her class made me feel a part of something, especially being the new kid. She would always call us kids, and I loved that because who doesn't love being a kid?

She was also involved in activities. When playing sports at Richmond, I would always see her in the stands for every sporting event. It gave me a warm feeling inside that she would be there to support her students. Mrs. Siegman would also dress up for all the goofy days when we had them at school. She inspired me to put myself out there and to be myself. She would be herself and everyone loved her.

When it was the end of the year, Richmond had a student versus  teachers volleyball game. Mrs. Siegman was the loudest teacher on the court. Every student would chant “Sieg-man, Sieg-man, Sieg-man!” The student section was as loud as people at a Taylor Swift concert. Even though she is only 4’ 11”, you couldn’t miss her because she's energetic.

After two years went by, my brother had her as a fourth grade teacher too. And she was still her same bubbly self. During the year my brother had her, my great grandma died, and it was devastating. Mrs. Siegman was familiar with my family (since I had her as a teacher). When she found out about my grandma, she pulled my brother aside one day and said, “I'm so sorry to hear about your loss; I have this poem for you that you should read at the funeral.” This poem described celebrating someone’s life after they die. When my brother read the poem at the funeral, there wasn’t one person with a dry eye. It touched everyone, just like Mrs. Siegman.

The people who impact your life are the people you will remember forever. Mrs. Siegman was one of those people and I’m sure she was for many other students as well. I nominate Mrs. Siegman as the best educator because she is the most amazing, caring, and positive person you will ever meet and she will make you a better person.