Made in Germany | Teen Ink

Made in Germany

By Joshua Yoder BRONZE, Bryant, Indiana
Joshua Yoder BRONZE, Bryant, Indiana

Many great things have come from Germany, including my high school German teacher, Mrs. Annemarie McClung. I have been lucky enough to have Mrs. McClung as a teacher all four years of my high school career. During these four years of high school, I learned that she not only views teaching as her job, but she also cares about the success of each and every one of her students. Mrs. McClung is one of the most involved teachers at my high school. She teaches two different curriculums, is in charge of three different extracurricular clubs, and helps promote recycling in school. She has all these things to do, but still manages to get everything done with excellence.

Teaching one subject a day can be a daunting task for some teachers, but Mrs. McClung manages to teach two different languages every day. On average, a school day for her generally consists of teaching up to five different levels of both German and French. Everyday she must speak in three different languages which, in and of itself, is no small task. Yet, she still manages to put together up to five different lesson plans for only one day. My experiences of having her for a teacher have all been pleasant. I find that I never become bored in class because of the way she teaches with such knowledge and excitement. She does not just teach from chapter to chapter out of a book. Instead, she manages to tie in real-time experiences from daily life in Germany. She does an excellent job keeping her lessons relevant and up to date which keeps students more attentive in class. Although she does an excellent job at teaching students, Mrs. McClung’s school involvement does not stop in the classroom.

Mrs. McClung has formed three different extracurricular clubs during her time at my high school. German Club, French Club, and Foreign Exchange Club are all overlooked and held together by her excellent organizational skills. I myself am Vice-President of German Club, and have experienced up close how well she runs all three of her clubs. She has done an excellent job at finding exciting activities for each of the clubs. For Foreign Exchange Club, she has students host other students from different countries for the entire school year. She has also created Exchange Weekend where exchange students from other schools come together at our high school to experience a difference of American high schools. French Club holds a Mardi Gras Café, and German Club holds an Oktoberfest every year to raise money for the two clubs. With the help of her students, Mrs. McClung prepares and serves all the food for both events. Also with the help of her German Club, Mrs. McClung also has promoted the importance of recycling throughout our high school.

In my high school, recycling used to only be a concern for the Earth Watch Club, and was not upheld by many students. Now with the help of Mrs. McClung and German Club, recycling is now more evident throughout school. Through German Club, Mrs. McClung raised money to purchase receptacles for the recycling of plastic bottles and aluminum cans. These containers are painted in school colors, and are spread throughout the halls and around the building. I help empty the containers on a regular basis, and I personally have noticed how great the results have been. All of the recycling containers are frequently used, and the number of bottles and cans in the trash has greatly diminished. Not only is Mrs. McClung helping our school, but she is also helping the environment.

Each day, I am reminded how lucky I am to have as great a teacher as Mrs. McClung. She is an outstanding role model, and I can personally vouch that she has made an impact in my life. Through teaching classes, leading clubs, and promoting recycling, Mrs. McClung has shown me just how important it is to be involved in my school and community. If she is not the perfect candidate of recognition, then I am not sure that anyone else comes close.

I just felt that Mrs. McClung deserved to be recognized for all of her amazing contributions. She never ceases to amaze me, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to have her as my teacher for four wonderful years.

FirstorLast said...
I feel that you truly captured your teacher. This was an outstanding essay.

Mdirk said...
This is probably the best essay i've ever read in my life! Outstanding job! This really captures the emotion

EcoGelane SILVER, Portland, Indiana
This is amazing :)