Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By Mbappè SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mbappè SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear WW2 Veteran,

My favorite holiday is the Fourth of July, not because of the fireworks or the parties, but because of what it represents. Those glowing lights and the bright colors of the fireworks represent the freedom that we have. My grandpa sitting on the boat underneath the fireworks, telling stories about war and the struggles of getting back to civilian life. I appreciate the sacrifice that men like you and my grandpa made at a young age to potentially give your life so that ordinary people like me can have the rights that we all have today.

My name is Bohdi and I am a senior in high school. I am planning on going to college after graduation to further my education. I will never know the things that you went through fighting for our country but I do know that I would be terrified if, after graduation, I was going to a foreign country to possibly lay down my life for people that I had never met before. I will forever be grateful for you for giving me the opportunity to further my education freely.

You will forever motivate people like me to be more unselfish in a world that is becoming increasing more self centered. Everything nowadays is about how can you improve your position in life and what can you do for yourself, instead of what you can for others. You realized that at a young age that life is bigger than you, that it’s what you can for others, not yourself, that really matters when we leave this earth. You will forever be my hero and everyday I will think about you, and the sacrifices that you made, to make the world a better place.

Sincerely,

Bohdi 

I wrote a letter to a WWII Veteran