Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

May 2, 2019
By Anonymous

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

 

I would like to start by saying thank you for your service to our country and welcome home. My name is Dylan, and I am a senior in high school. I watched parts of the Honor Flight movie and saw how the letters have affected the veterans, so that inspired me to write one.


Because of you, I can wake up in the morning feeling safe, go to school and live a happy life. You gave me the freedom of choosing what I want to do in life and I am thankful. I cannot imagine getting drafted and being forced into a completely new way of life at such a young age. I am grateful there are people like you who fought to protect our country and secure our freedom. I will never be able to repay you for all you have gone through and lost, we live in the greatest country in the world because of your sacrifice and I am in your debt.


My great uncle was drafted when he was nineteen and he would tell me stories about what he has gone through. He told me that some veterans, from the Vietnam War specifically, do not like to talk about their experiences. He said they usually bring up bad memories when they talk about them. When I hear stories about the Vietnam War from veterans I do not know how to react because I cannot even comprehend what they have gone through. The stories I have heard about you and other veterans coming home from Vietnam are indescribable. The way you and other veterans were treated when you returned was awful and inhumane. You all deserved a welcome home after the hardships you all faced.


I hope you have had a great Honor Flight and that it makes for one of your favorite memories. Welcome home and thank you for your service!


Sincerely,

Dylan


The author's comments:

A letter to a Vietnam Veteran.