My Grandma | Teen Ink

My Grandma

By TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York
TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York

When I was younger, I loved a book about a little girl whose grandma had passed away and went to heaven. I’m not sure why I liked it, I didn’t really know the words or exactly what they meant, but I know that I liked the sound of it being read.

Before falling asleep one night, I requested for my grandmother to read it to me. I closed my eyes and smiled sweetly as I heard her recite the words. When she finished reading, I looked into her light blue eyes. “Grandma,” I asked, “Will you ever die?”

“Unfortunately,” she said.

“Will I?”

“Hopefully not for a long time.”

I thought about this response. “Do all people die?” I asked.

“Yes,” she answered, “Eventually.”

“Why?” I asked.

“How could you enjoy every second of life, if you knew you could live it forever?”

“But, what if you die?” I questioned.

“You never know how much you appreciate something until you lose it. It takes losing something to know its value. There is no sentimental value behind something if you have it forever.” She then explained that she had to go. I gave her a kiss on the cheek, and told her that I would love her forever.

I lay in bed that night, thinking about what she said. She must have thought that since I was only 6, I couldn’t understand her, yet I knew exactly what she had said, exactly.

The next night I sat on my parents’ bed watching TV with them. The phone rang. A chill ran down my back just before my dad answered it. I saw his smiling expression tighten into gloom. Then he looked at my mom and me. He stared unblinkingly for what seemed like forever. Then he spoke. “Grandma is dead.”

I then sat there still for the next few minutes. I had never lost anyone before in my life. I didn’t know what to think. All that ran through my head was that I was never going to see her again. She was really gone forever. And through the grief, I smiled. At that instant, I had loved my grandma more than I ever had before. I thought of everything she did for me.

Life changes the most when we don’t expect it to. I never knew what my grandma had aid that night I would remember forever. Of course I am upset when people die, but missing them makes me love them more every second. Life is only living, if you use every second to the fullest, because any second could be your last. Have fun in heaven grandma, your life will live on in my eyes. Forever.

My grandma changed my life. I still remember the day before she died exactly, I hope every person has an event that changes their life, lke my grandma changed my life. Let her words live on.

Surya Reddy BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
Very good article  

Lindsey31 GOLD said...
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota

LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots

This is beautiful. It reminds me when my grandma died of Alzheimer's.

i liked this story

it hurts when someone close passes away

Santa said...
my grandma died

MorganD BRONZE said...
MorganD BRONZE, Neenah, Wisconsin
This Essay is amazing. It really touched me. Good job!! :)

daydreamer22 said...
daydreamer22, Wilbraham, Massachusetts

"Someday someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else"

I love this, it's a beautiful remembrance of your grandmother 

GooGirl1995 SILVER, Tucson, Arizona

"Don't be afraid to be yourself. And don't worry about getting famous because that means nothing. There are a lot of really useless people in this world that are famous."

-Johnny Reznik

haha now I know what you are talking about XD

omg, yes!! that was it!!

GooGirl1995 SILVER, Tucson, Arizona

-Johnny Reznik

I think i remember reading the book you mentioned. Were all the illustrations like paintings and the little girl was wearing a blue dress? 

Anyway, this was fantastic. It is truly painful to see things disappear. Nothing is real till it is gone. We all have to learn that.

Wow, thats amazing. Smiling through the pain.

I AM IRONMAN said...
Thats sad. Having your grandma die.

milan2007 said...
Great article ..... family is very important. We have alot to learn form the older generation. You have grown into a very smart young lady,,, congrats  nana

this is a sad story but for some reason i liked it keep it up! hope it gets chosen for the mag 

this is really good and i think i might cry!:'-(

booboo said...
ahww iimm sorryy hunn;[

Ninten1992 PLATINUM, New York, New York

"Forgive and Forget".

This story is very well written. It reminded me of my relationship with my grandfather.

when i read tthis story it really touched me this is a sad yet eally good story i love it is so good!!!

michelleTan GOLD, Bandung, Other

Ordinary isn't sexy ;)

this is really really reallyyyy cool xoxo

thank you!!

laRaMeii said...
laRaMeii, Commack, New York
Wow! This is beautiful