Islamic Religion | Teen Ink

Islamic Religion

The word “Islam” means “submission to the will of God.” Followers of Islam are called Muslims. They are monotheistic and worship one, who in Arabic is known as Allah. Followers of Islam believe that nothing can happen without Allah’s permission, but humans have free will. Islam teaches that Allah’s word was revealed to the prophet Mohammed (PBOH) through the angel Gabriel. Muslims believe several prophets were sent to teach Allah’s law. They respect some of the same prophets as Jews and Christians, including Abraham, Moses, Noah and Jesus. Muslims contend that Muhammad was the final prophet. Mosques are places where Muslims worship. Followers worship Allah by praying and reciting the Quran. They believe there will be a Day of Judgment and life after death. Islam is the second largest religion in the world after Christianity, with about 1.8 billion Muslims worldwide. It started in Mecca, in modern-day Saudi Arabia, during the time of the prophet Muhammad (PBOH) life. Today, the faith is spreading rapidly throughout the world. A central idea in Islam is “jihad,” which means “struggle.” While the term has been used negatively in mainstream culture, Muslims believe it refers to internal and external efforts to defend their faith. Although rare, this can include military jihad if a “just war” is needed.Our prophet Mohammad (PBOH) was born in Mecca, Saudi Arabia; in 570 A.D. Muslims believe he was the final prophet sent by God to reveal their faith to mankind. Muslims believe that Muhammad continued to receive revelations from Allah throughout the rest of his life.Starting in about 613, Muhammad began preaching throughout Mecca the messages he received. He taught that there was no other God but Allah and that Muslims should devote their lives to this God. In 622, Muhammad traveled from Mecca to Medina with his supporters. This journey became known as the Hijra (also spelled Hegira orHijrah), It is the beginning of the Islamic calendar. Seven years later, Muhammad and his many followers returned to Mecca and conquered the region. He continued to preach until his death in 632. After Muhammad’s passing, Islam began to spread rapidly.  A series of leaders, known as caliphs, became successors to Muhammad. This system of leadership became known as a caliphate. The first caliph was Abu Bakr, Muhammad’s father-in-law and close friend. Abu Bakr died about two years after he was elected. Muslims follow five basic pillars that are essential to their faith. These include:1) Shahada:  to declare one’s faith in God and belief in Muhammad. 2) Salat:  to pray five times a day (at dawn, noon, afternoon, sunset, and evening). 3) Zakat:  to give to those in need.4) Sawm: to fast during Ramadan. 5) Hajj: to make a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once during a person’s lifetime if the person is able.

studying in Presentation Convent Hr. Sec. School, class 10th .I love to write Religious articles and i'm very fond of singing hindi songs , writing shayaries ... and making realistic sketches.