Mom, You Continue to Save My Life | Teen Ink

Mom, You Continue to Save My Life

January 8, 2008
By Anonymous

Different people may have different perceptions of what a hero is, and what a hero actually does. Some people may look to people who save lives such as firemen, police officers, security guards, or even doctors. Others may look to people who have superpowers such as Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman. In search of a hero however, I look no further than my own home. My hero is my mother.

Unlike other heroes, my mother does not have any superpowers or the ability to miraculously save lives. However, she does have the ability to make things happen that others might see as impossible. My mother has always been forced to make something out of nothing. My family has never been in good financial standing, which has caused my mom a lot of stress and frustration. Even with this frustration, my mom has always managed to make sure that my siblings and I had everything we needed and wanted. She is so unselfish that she often goes without eating, sleeping, and even doing the things that she loves just so we can eat or go out and enjoy ourselves.

If not for my mother’s support and “pushy” ways, I would not be as successful as I am. Anybody is capable of being successful with the right support. Unfortunately, many people never get the support needed from their parents, which causes them to not reach their full potential. Whether she is cheering me on at soccer games or helping me study for my ACT, I never have to worry about a lack of support.
My mom is always there for me emotionally, physically, and every other way possible. There has never been a time that I was in a bad situation where she did not try to make me feel better. No matter what the circumstances were, my mom almost always found a way to make me feel like everything would be okay.

Aside from being a supportive mother who always manages to supply me with what I need and want, my mother is my hero because of who she is today. My mother has gone through many trials and tribulations throughout her life. From growing up in an unstable, unsafe home to losing most of the ones she loved in the same time period, she has been through it all. She never let that take away her drive or determination though. She always managed to make it through and become stronger.

My mom means the world to me. No, she does not have any superpowers and no she cannot rescue thousands of people from a burning building. She will always be there for me though. A hero in my eyes is somebody who does something out of the ordinary, or who cannot be compared to anybody else. Nobody can compare to my mother and what she has done for me. She has been my hero all of my life, and she will continue to be for the remainder of it as well.