My Hero: Ray Lewis | Teen Ink

My Hero: Ray Lewis

There are many great NFL linebackers. The position of linebacker features some of the most athletic as well as some of the toughest men in football. However, one man stands out to me more than any other player in the National Football League. That man is the Baltimore Raven’s Ray Lewis.

Ray Lewis was born in Bartow, Florida on May 15, 1975. He played peewee football at a young age and was MVP his junior and senior years at Kathleen high school. At Kathleen Ray played running back, kick returner, and of course linebacker. Ray also played other sports. He won state in wrestling in the 4A division. Ray Lewis attended the University of Miami where he played with NFL defensive lineman Warren Sapp and famous actor and former wrestler Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. He was named to the all- American team and was runner up for the Butkus Award. Soon Ray would be ready for the big leagues.

Ray Lewis was drafted as the fifth linebacker in the 1996 draft. In his rookie season Lewis made the pro bowl by recording an NFL best with 210 tackles. The year after he was named to his second pro bowl, as well as another one after that in which he was named All-Pro. In the 1999 season the Baltimore Ravens became one of the greatest defenses of all time. Led by Lewis they beat the record of the 1985 Chicago Bears for fewest yards and fewest touchdowns. They won the AFC wild card and went to the Superbowl. There they faced the New York Giants and won with a final score of 34 to 7. Ray was named Superbowl MVP, which was a huge honor considering that most MVP’s are offensive players. The Baltimore Ravens had made Superbowl history.

Ever since then, Ray Lewis has been to two more pro bowl’s and has been defensive player of the year in 2000 and 2003. He has been classified as one of the greatest middle linebackers ever. He is included with some of the greats like Ray Nitschke of the Green Bay Packers, Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary of the Chicago Bears, and Jack Lambert of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ “Steel Curtain”. Lewis has been selected to the pro bowl nine times in his illustrious career, and has held the NFL’s leading tackle record five times. He is one of the best linebackers in the league today due to his physical toughness and remarkable athleticism.

Everybody needs a hero. Someone to look up to and admire. I love football with a passion, and of all the unbelievable players in the National Football League, this man is my hero. His heart, desire, intensity, and determination inspires me. There is nobody to me like NFL linebacker Ray Lewis.

C nunya said...
Ray Lewis also has 6 kids with 4 different women, was involved in a murder, paid off others to keep quiet in numerous domestic disputes, etc.  Yeah, a fine hero for today's teens!