The New Girl | Teen Ink

The New Girl MAG

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

lou205 BRONZE said...
lou205 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

\"Every human being is intended to have a character of his own; to be what no others are, and to do what no other can do.\" William Henry Channing.

it is nice, but still too short! you need to work a bit on your skills.

This was great! Loved the ending!

Bandana56 BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
that was good, short and good, you captured what going into a new school really feels like.

Funsized2014 said...
this is how i feel today.. being my frist day at a new school

LifesIllusion BRONZE, Cicero, Indiana

"Don't let your fears slow you down. Instead, chase them down and beat them."

I really enjoyed this piece. I think most people, girls and boys alike, can relate to this story in some way. GREAT WORK! :) keep writing.

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
Dang it, someone deleted their comment that I was agreeing with...now it looks like I'm agreeing with MonkeyMan. I am so not. Atticus has a point. 

Allis-in-Wonderland PLATINUM, Cartersville, Georgia

"Sometimes people leave you...halfway through The Wood. Do not let it grieve you...No one leaves for good. You are not alone, for no one is alone." -Into The Woods

I completely agree. I let people comment on my work and give me ideas on how to improve it. But you coming out and being so quick to decisions is certainly not the way a Teenink member should act. Please show some respect. I find this piece intriguing and wonderful. Please, if you have bad things to say, don't say anything at all. 

Alantis SILVER said...
Alantis SILVER, Connersville, Indiana

Love hurts weither its right or wrong.

MonkeyMan that was mega rude. I think this was a very well written and excuted piece of work. Dont put people down like that. 

Atticus SILVER said...
Atticus SILVER, Wenatchee, Washington

She deserves to be written~

Says the person who can't spell 'writing' correctly.

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
Agreed. Dude, if you have a suggestion to make this better, state it, but it's so abnoxious to bash and say rude stuff. This is for people who are politely commenting ways to improve others' work and things like that.

Lit.rox BRONZE said...
Lit.rox BRONZE, Kandy, Other
nice article!

HoloWise PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
This story is so cute.  I had to go through this at least 5 times in my life and next year I'm going to college and doing it at least once more!  I loved reading this!

youngbleezy said...
this story really relates to me. I used to live New York for six years and then I suddenly had to move down to utah where wverything had changed i had no friends at all and i have to live with my new foster parents that were total strangers and i didnt know anything about the place and i felt like i was in a cage.when it was the first day of school i felt like i was in a maze and there was know way out of it but after a month or so it got easier and i had made some incredible friends. so i really love this.

noonanll said...
i dont agree at all with you i like it just the way it was

Victoria.S BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

"Someday you will look back and know exactly why it had to happen."

This is a really good story! You should continue writing! :)

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
This is cute and funny and ya NYClove13 has a point you could make a nice novel out of this!

KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida

"If you're lucky enought to be different, never change." ~ Taylor Swift

Great article! It's sounds like the beginning of a novel, have you ever considered building up on this? 

MorganD BRONZE said...
MorganD BRONZE, Neenah, Wisconsin
I understand what you mean. I've been switched around all the time. Because, when my older sister commited suicide in 2010 that broke all of us, and then we moved from Kentucky, to Wisconsin. I had to make all new friends, and on top of that my parents divorced, so i've been switching school singe 3rd grade. Every year was something different, a new school, different school, new people, making new friends. It's extremley hard, i'm not going to lie. I am now a freshman in high school

1124232 said...

ggkfkgjkxxdlkfp;xhjnfdjffgjl;jpfdjgcjhsevjedjjfdrtgb

fkggg

chaoools said...

this was a good artical is really spoak to me.