My Mother and Father | Teen Ink

My Mother and Father

May 12, 2012
By JessicaQ PLATINUM, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Other
JessicaQ PLATINUM, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Other
23 articles 5 photos 28 comments

When I was five, I always played outside under the blazing sun with my two neighbors. We would bike around the complex, but there was one dilemma, I was the only one with training wheels. Feeling left out, I wanted to learn to ride a proper bike. But on the first day of trying, I gave up.
"Don't give up! Just keep practicing and practicing, you'll get it," said my dad, and sure enough, I did.

Two years after, I remember sitting alone outside in the school playground. I sat on the corner of a dirty bench curled up into a ball, crying. My two best friends left me crying there, alone. They made fun of me and I didn't know what to do.
When my mother picked me up from school that day, I sobbed in her arms and told her my story.
"Don't ever listen to them. They're your best friends, they'll come back," she said, and sure enough, they did.

I remember when it was the end of grade five and the school was having their annual awards ceremony. I worked so hard that year in gym classes and my academics, hoping to get an award that day. When they announced the award winners for grade five, everything moved slowly, as my name wasn't called.
I came home later that day and sobbed in my bed.
"Don't cry. You'll get it next year! I know it," said my mother.
"Just keep working hard and you will be awarded next year," said my father, and sure enough, in sixth grade, I did.

My parents are my role models. They always stay positive and teach me everything they know. Even though my mothers' English is sometimes broken, and my father's temper is short, they continue to live their life to the fullest with strength and optimism.
I am now fourteen, and I don't give them much credit as I should. They helped me with their amazing advice through all my problems and I never repay them.

So here it is:

Cheers to my mother and father, my role models.