Freedom Speech | Teen Ink

Freedom Speech

April 18, 2008
By Anonymous

Crackle, crackle! Snap! Pop! I'm turned on and sit, waiting. I'm waiting for a very “special” someone to come to the podium, a large wooden mass, and speak into me. To broadcast to many about the same old things. But no, today is different.

There is a buzz coming from everywhere and from everyone. Excitement fills the air, surrounding me. I can just barely see all of the people crammed in behind me. Most are blacks with some whites sprinkled in. There are many police patrolling the area, scanning the crowd, and watching the stage in case a riot should occur.

Staring blankly ahead, I spot an African American man walking towards me, seeming nerve free. He looks sleek in his tie and black suit, smart and confident. He has a few papers clutched in his hands and is walking with a purpose, like he wants to make a point, but he is all about nonviolence. An earsplitting applause with some roaring shouts and hooray's mixed in, awakens from nowhere as this man steps up to the podium. His hands rest lightly on the edges as he looks out with freedom filled eyes, hopeful and caring.

He wets his lips, takes a deep breath, and begins to speak. His meaning filled voice, resonant and powerful, echoes throughout me and over the speaker system. Words, symbols dripping with passion and belief, float from his mouth into the eager ears of the audience who share his pain. They listen silent as mice and motionless until the middle of the speech, then they begin to nod.

“I have a dream today.”

Inspiring sentences fly forth from his lips.

“I have a dream!”

His voice builds, along with the passion from which he speaks. Honor surges through me as I have the privilege to be the object to amplify that voice, that life altering voice that could change the world with just a single word.

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed.”

He looks out as he speaks at his fellow believers. They trust him and have faith in every single wise and moving word he has spoken. He then gives the last heart-felt words to the listeners and pours his heart and soul into them.

“Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

Eyes watering, people cheer a cheer of hope. They will hold their heads up high, they will not give up, and they will not lose sight of what every black in America wants... Freedom. No matter how many you- aren't- as- equal- as- us- and- never- will- be looks they get from whites, they will reply peacefully and will not hang their heads in shame because they are black. All because of one man, who gave them hope.

I wish it wasn't over. I wish it could last forever, the glory of his speech. But it will last forever, at least the memory. And we will always remember him. He has made his mark on us and earned himself a place in history with other amazing men and women. We will always remember an African American fighting for the rights of people just like him. We will always remember a man full of courage and determination to get what is fair. We will always remember Martin Luther King Jr.