My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

Lois McMaster Bujold once said, “Outings are so much more fun when we can savor them through the children’s eyes” (1991). Understand that my brother, K.J., is not the only one who contributes to my life because it takes many people to bring up a child today. The hand that you give out of love to a child goes a long way in the future. How many times do you compliment a child or give them encouragement? Do you talk to your children? When you talk to a child you are able to learn their viewpoint of what’s important and you could be that one individual who changed their life because you had a conversation with them. My brother’s comforting hand and understanding compassion that he invested in me created a lot of fond memories and lessons learned.

I remember when K.J. taught me how to ride a bike; no words could express how scared I was to let go of those training wheels. K.J. had just finished cutting the grass and I know he had to be tired, but he taught me anyway. Time after time I smacked the concrete, leaving marks and bruises on my knees. Every fumble he rose me up and made me try again. Though he had to be frustrated and agitated with my complaining tears, never did he give up and call it quits. He released his hold from my seat and I peddled away down the street. He made me believe in my abilities and showed me that as long I as continue to try, then I’ll never be a failure because I kept going. I now understand if I work hard and stay faithful to God, than nothing is impossible unto me.

Another fond memory I have is Halloween nights, trick or Treating in my school clothes from that day, with a pillow case from out the hallway closet gripped tightly in my hand. Faithfully every year, my brother took me around different neighborhoods to not only fill my pillow case, but my face with a smile. When I was younger I really loved being around my brother because I always felt safe, as if no one could harm me. What made those times so special was being beside one who has a good heart and who cares about my well- being. K.J. would carry me on his back when my feet began to hurt or I started to get tired; he would grip my hand and lead me home to help me prepare for tomorrow’s day at school.
It wasn’t until recently that I noticed how much my brother has affected my decision making. Now as I glance back, I see all that he taught me in both words and actions, from learning to handle the dribble of a basketball or to hold my own ground. The most important thing I learned from him was how to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Instead of being sad because $50 prevented me from playing for a team, he showed me how fun basketball is in the neighborhood. K.J. made our circumstances fade by giving time to fill my childhood with happiness. I was allowed to create memories without focusing on everything negative, where the good would deteriorate.
Sometimes I didn’t quite understand how to look at the glass half full, instead of half empty. For a period, I didn’t even want to go to college because people were always pressuring me about it and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Also, because I noticed how my brother struggled to pay for student loans and books each year and I didn’t want to be in that position. I heard so many stories of individuals paying student loans for years, eventually forcing them to move back with their parents. K.J. not only explained that it’s not necessarily true for everyone, but he took me around Wright State and showed me all the perks of being in college and living near campus. Than he told me that he hates school, but he’s following through because he doesn’t want to be like our parents. He taught me that I should base my future on what I think and want because my happiness is what matters, as long as I have no family to provide for. On my knees I prayed to God to guide me and I felt a sense of comfort, as if the hand of God had just picked me up and placed me in his hand.
Someone once said, “A friend is one to whom you can pour out the contents of your heart, chaff and grain alike. Knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it…” (ThinkExist.com, n.d.). K.J. is my best friend and I love my brother beyond pencil and paper. His support and comfort surpasses all other individuals in my life because he’s my hero. He’ll never need strength like superman or the huge house on the hill because the man God molded him into is such an incredible man. All I ever needed from K.J. was for him to be my brother, but he became my friend. His guiding hand has sowed knowledge into my life, teaching me how to become dependent on my own mind and abilities. Thank you for everything, your little sister.