Surprise Friends - Neighbors | Teen Ink

Surprise Friends - Neighbors MAG

For seventh grade I would be going to a new school, which meant I could start all over and make new friends. But every once in a while that summer before, I would get stressed and angry so I took to riding my bike, which helped tremendously. I rode every day for an hour, going around my neighborhood, ignoring everyone I saw, not even saying hello or acknowledging them.

One day my family was having a garage sale and I decided to go for a bike ride. I was listening to my headphones and having a great time. Coming back, I had to turn a corner onto a huge hill where I couldn’t see the top. I couldn’t see if cars were coming because trees were in the way. I tried to look but when I did a Chevy Blazer was right there. It couldn’t stop and there was no way for me to get out of the way. I closed my eyes and thought I was going to die.

I remember the car hitting me and flying off my bike, but I blacked out after that. It wasn’t for long, though, and when I woke up I saw neighbors, people I had never paid attention to, rushing toward me. I got up and they helped me to the curb. One woman went to get my mom. A man and his son got me water and offered to call for help but I declined. Another woman sat with me and we both cried as she cleaned my scrapes. My mom came and before I left, I hugged everyone at the scene, even the driver of the car. He was in high school and just coming home from work. He wasn’t speeding or anything, and was very shaken to have hit someone.

When I healed, I fixed my bike and went riding again. It was hard at first to ride by the place of the accident but I did and saw all the neighbors who had helped me. They all whooped and yelled and gave me hugs. Every time I see them now, I remember what they did for me, and we always talk. But what I can’t get over is even though they didn’t know me, they helped and took care of me. I will never forget them and I will never again judge people before I know them. Thanks!