Fallen Comrade | Teen Ink

Fallen Comrade

By LurkingBlake BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
LurkingBlake BRONZE, Carlsbad, California

On the Afghan battlefront, being at war becomes everyday life for many American soldiers. Soldiers become like brothers, and to some, the biggest battle of all is the war of the demons inside their minds when having to say goodbye to an injured brother.

Five soldiers quietly entered the hospital room feeling sadness to find their comrade, a young private, laying on a gurney. He had been hit by an RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) earlier that morning. Remembering the events of the day, all of the soldiers, exhausted as they were, felt lucky in their own way because the chances were just as equal that they would be laying on that gurney.

Sergeant John Montgomery was solemn as he remembered what had happened just hours before. He and Private Stone had been on regular patrol in the city of Kabul. They cruised the Humvee down a populated street where the townspeople were friendly and even waving to them. They felt welcome in this city so far away from their homeland.

Out of the corner of his eye, Sergeant Montgomery saw a jerking movement on the second story of a small residential building. At that moment, he was immediately alerted of what may come in his direction. Confirming all of their worst fears, they had driven straight into an ambush.

Chaos erupted immediately. The whistles of the RPGs rang out from every direction, and they were surrounded by gunfire, civilians ran wildly through the streets, into buildings, down alleyways and hid anywhere they could to escape the onslaught. The marines immediately returned fire and were given strict orders to stay put and hold that street down until reinforcements arrive. It felt like days to Sergeant Montgomery laying there in the afghan heat, not to mention being in combat.

Lines of smoke appeared overhead. “RPGs!” Private Stone yelled, but before he could finish the rest of his sentence, the Humvee exploded. In disarray, the marines all sprinted to the next available cover spot. They heard an agonizing scream. Private Stone was laying on his back with his legs crushed beneath the toppled Humvee. Just as the smoke cleared a helicopter was spotted on the horizon to save them.

Upon landing, the marines all grouped up and dragged the screaming Private onto the helicopter. Sparks pinged off the sides of the helicopter. They flew, miles and miles away from Kabul until they finally reached Base camp.

As the gurney was lifted with the Private in critical condition, the marines watched in silence. One by one, every soldier in the platoon shook the private’s hand, on the way out. Each remembered how lucky they were to be living and all of them prayed for their fallen comrade.
Based on real combat that occurred on 12/19/11 as told by Marine Core Chaplain, Frank Riley to Denise V.

I just thought it was a cool story, so i wrote about it.

chappara1 said...
chappara1, Apopka, Florida

there are plenty of fish in the sea but i chose you

this story was very good .... keep up the good work :)

This was really inresting and I feel bad for the citezens that have to through all this.I also think that it's wrong that some people take advantage or even worse,don't even care about the people that're risking teir lives for are country,but other that this story well written.        THANKS FOR THE EFFORT