True Roots | Teen Ink

True Roots

February 5, 2013
By Molly Jozwiakowski BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri
Molly Jozwiakowski BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“In every conceivable manner, the family is the link to our past, and the bridge to our future.”--Alex Haley.  Your family is what keeps you intact.  Without family, it would impossible to go throughout life happy. Everyone goes through good times and bad times with them, but all-in-all, your family is part of what makes you, “YOU”.  They inspire, help, and are always there for you- especially my parents.  My parents, in any scenario, always have my back.  They are my heroes because they are hardworking, great parents, and big supporters of me.

“The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting each-others desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each-other out of our rooms, inflicting pain, and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread, that bound us all together”. --Erma Brombeck.  In the midst of it all,  parents are hardworking, they teach us right from wrong, teach us that we have to work for what we want, and to be a true hero to your family.  Before my two sisters and I were born, my mom worked as a RN at the hospital.  She always loved helping and caring for kids.  By the time we were born though, she quit her job to take care of us at home.  As years passed, she missed working as a nurse. She went back, working at the hospital for awhile,but with all of our activities it was too much. She started looking for a smaller nursing job.  She now works as a school nurse two days a week.  On top of that, my mom volunteers a ton.  She works incredibly hard all the time, just for us.  My Dad on the other hand, works really hard all during the week.  Sometimes, he travels for meetings and conventions, and he always works to his highest ability, no matter what.  On weekends, he coaches my sister’s basketball team and does a variety of other things.  As parents, they both work constantly.  Together, my parents constantly battle to teach us to do the right things, to be polite, and have good manners.  Additionally, they teach us to love one-another, and to love your family.  Overall, my parents work extremely hard in everything they do no matter what it is!

“A family is a unit composed of not only children, but of men, women, occasional animals, and the common cold.” -O. Nash.  Another reason that my parents are my heroes is that they are really great parents.  My mom is a great mom because she listens.  Whenever I’m having a bad day, and I need to talk to someone, she always listens.  She isn’t bossy about her opinions, and always knows the right thing to say or do.  My mom always lets me talk, and understands what I’m saying when I’m troubled, or in any sort of mood. She is really great because she loves me so much, and she does everything for our family.  My dad.  There is a lot I can say about him.  He is a great dad because he is exactly like me.  He knows what I’m feeling, when I’m feeling it, and we think the same way.  Whenever I ask him something, he knows what I want the answer to be, but always tells the truth.  He is tough on me, when he needs to be.  Even though he is tough on me sometimes, I know he loves me, and does what’s best for me.  Together, my parents are a really good pair.  Whether I’m feeling mad, sad, frustrated, annoyed, confused, or any mood they always have the right words to cheer me up.  They both know what they are doing, and are smart in the choices they make.  Overall, my parents are the best at what they do, and I love them.

“Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”--Jane Howard.  One of the final reasons my parents are my heroes is because of how much they support me.  Both of my parents always support my decisions.  They support what I decide, whatever it is. They always give their strong opinions, but in the end, its up to me.  For example, whenever I’m going through a hard situation, like which pair of friends to go with after-school, they help me find a solution, without telling me what to do. We work together.  They also are big supporters of me in school.  They help me when it’s needed, they help me with my homework, and they are always giving me suggestions.  They taught me that I have to work hard in school, and get good grades, in order to go to do well in high-school, and go to a good college.  Because of their style of early learning, I succeed in school.  Finally, they support me in gymnastics.  My gymnastics takes a lot of time, dedication, and support.  I work out twenty hours a week.  They always drive me back and forth, no problem.  They always take me to competitions, no matter where they are.  They are just a huge support to me, no matter what happens.  Without my parents supporting me so much, in everything I do, I wouldn’t be who I am today.

“The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution that I know works, is the family.”  When people describe me, they say I am hard-working, kind, creative, smart, and happy.  I know that I have a part in creating these qualities, but I also know that I wouldn’t be who I am today without you.  All throughout my life I have been learning from you, watching you, and loving you.  Many of the qualities and characteristics that I have today are because of you.  And when I say that you are my heroes because you are hardworking, great parents, and always there for me, I want you to know that I really, truly, mean it.