Superdad | Teen Ink

Superdad

October 31, 2013
By MarianaQuintero BRONZE, Bogota, Other
MarianaQuintero BRONZE, Bogota, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have always seen my father as a superhero. I remember tears running down my face, red nose and swollen eyes as I crouched in the corner of my bed. Only the darkness of the night was there to comfort me from my nightmares. Evil thoughts invaded my dreams every night making it impossible to rest. Some days they were so intense that sleeping was impossible, I used to feel like I was trapped in the dark night and not a single soul was near, maybe in a galaxy a thousand light years from me. Just when the flame of hope was seconds away from vanishing into the darkness, he would come to save me. “Click” the sound of the light switch would take over the infinite silence as light covered every dark corner in the room. And there he was, he stood there like superman, always prepared for danger. I always remembered it as his super power; he was always there when I needed him. In his face it really looked like he could feel my horror and he understood how I felt. He sat on my bed silently just to watch me sleep. This was the only way I was able to sleep, I couldn’t feel more protected, and I knew I could sleep safely because he would be there no matter what. Sometimes if I was too scared, he would let me cuddle with him on his bed. He would grab me in his arms and let me sleep in his chest. If this couldn’t calm my nerves, nothing would. Lying by his side was like being protected in superman´s Fortress of Solitude, an almost inexistent place to society. I knew that not even the most evil creature would dare to even look at me.

He has always loved us (his family) like superman loves justice. With such powers superman could force humanity obey his orders, but his love for justice is so big that he does the opposite. The same thing applies to my father, he could use his superpowers to make us obey him, but instead he uses them to protect us. In fact, he says it`s enough to know we are happy in order for him to be happy. He used to get home from work to play with us. As my brother trapped me in his evil cage, I shouted desperately for help. He said he would torture me until the pain was so huge that my sight would start to trick me with extreme hallucinations from a parallel world. My fear grew stronger as he laughed evilly. It was almost impossible to handle it; a scream would burst out of my lungs. A scream from deep inside was all it took to wake up his super power. As soon as he heard it, he would come for my rescue. With his super strength, he would grab my evil brother and with his super speed, he would run all across the house. His speed as he ran was so fast; I knew my brother wouldn’t last. While they fought for me, it was able to run for my life.


I want him to know every drop of sweat has paid off and his efforts will never be in vain. I promise to keep up with the same attitude and the same braveness in which he has raised us. By the time my children become my age, I am sure they will be proud teenagers. I know they will say, “ My mom will always be a hero, as my grandfather”.

I will always be thankful.


The author's comments:
I love my dad and everything he has done for me. I just wanted to honor him the way he deserves.
Many teenagers are too busy with their things that they forget to thank their parents for everything they have done.