Living History | Teen Ink

Living History

January 26, 2016
By Rosie630 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Rosie630 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
18 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra." ~Jimmy Johnson


He pushed up his amber plastic lenses and steadied his shaky hands on the rests of his wheelchair. I watched him from across the room, his eyes filled with wonder as he met with a fellow member of his division. I watched him blankly, growing ever bored of the event we were attending. My ten year old self wanted to go back up to my hotel room and play Animal Crossing for Nintendo DS. I began to daydream, standing behind my parents, when I heard an unfamiliar voice.


“Why, look who it is. Ann, it's so great to see yah.” I peeked over my dad's shoulder and saw the smiling, elderly teeth of the man from earlier. I was gently pushed to parallel him, now staring straight at his squinted eyes.


“Say hello. This is Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Wood, he is part of the infantry division that Pop Pop is from, too.” my stepmother announced to me. I shyly shook his hand to which he proudly shook back, his cold slender hands with provisional strength.


“Howdy, darlin'. Tis an honor to meet a lovely little lady like youself.” Mr. Wood enchants, and I just nodded in agreement. I always felt intimidated around military gentlemen, they were always so knowledgeable and wise.


“Say, have you learned guzinda in school?” The Colonel implored with a smirk.


“Guh..what?” I wasn't quite sure what he said through his southern accent.


“You know, how many times three guzinda twelve...or how many times 5 guzinda twenty. Like that. You learn that before?” he asked between chuckles, clearly enjoying his pun.


“Oh, division...!” I giggled and he nodded his head. I then realized this man's humor was just the beginning of his whimsical character. Over 5 years I got to know him, and each veteran's reunion we saw him, strolling along in his wheelchair, nodding along to everyone. In 1944 and 1945, this division of men were sent to Okinawa, Japan to fight the bloodiest battle of the Pacific. Over these years I spent meeting new veterans who fought in World War II, we all grew a part of history to hold in our hands. These men knew so much about what had happened 70 years ago, because they were there. And if they weren't there, their good buddy was there, and he never got to leave. Over 10,000 men were lost in this mission of theirs, and each man has a different story to tell of what happened to them. We talk, cry, and laugh over these stories each year, and because of these men surviving for us, so have their stories and their families have grown, attending these reunions in honor and in friendship to one another. The “Deadeyes”, they were called, for their rifle marksmanship, are the bravest set of men I had ever met. You can talk to one of them, and they will bring you into their history, just as if it had happened yesterday.


How old is the oldest person you know? Lt. Col Sam Wood died at age 98, July of 2013. He didn't make it to that reunion, and neither did we. Even though he may be gone, his history lives in those he has shared it with. His funeral was held in the Arlington, Virginia cemetery, where great honors were taken for his memorial service. I had the privilege of attending, and I couldn't help but remember that day of first meeting him, remembering his South Carolinian accent and thoughtful gaze, and I knew that he represented a huge portion of men who would do anything for who and what they love.