The Little Rock Nine: What is Courage? | Teen Ink

The Little Rock Nine: What is Courage?

March 18, 2016
By EllenY. BRONZE, Unalaska, Alaska
EllenY. BRONZE, Unalaska, Alaska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

September 4, 1957, nine courageous black students enrolled in all-white Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. On their first day of school on September 23, they were on their way to the school, ignoring the abusive and threating crowd. On that same day, the Arkansas governor ordered his troops to block their way into the school. However, the federal government didn’t like the actions that the governor was causing so they took down the guards, leading the Little Rock Nine to enter the school. By late September of 1957, they were able to attend classes. But the fight wasn’t over. Angry crowds of white students and adults taunted, insulted, and even gave death threats to the Little Rock Nine. During the spring of 1958, eight out of the nine teenagers had successfully completed their school year. From the beginning of the school year, they wanted to go to school like the other kids. Now that they have successfully completed their school year, in a way, they had won.


The nine teenagers wanted the same education the white students had. Even though they were getting pushed around, it didn’t stop them from getting a better education. Ernest Green was the first African American in the Little Rock Nine to graduate. He helped other African Americans graduate as well. Not all of them graduated from this school, but all of them were able to attend it. From the education they got from Central High School and other schools that they attended, they turned out to be great people with families of their own.


Now, doors are open for African Americans that want the same educational experience because of the event that happened in 1957. These nine students showed that any student can attend any school regarding their race. From ages 15-17, they showed the world that you can change history by a positive action.