Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 12, 2018
By Anonymous

Dear Veteran,

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go”. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

Welcome home! My name is Ryan. My United States History class just finished learning about World War II and we are  about to learn of the war that you had served in. It blows my mind that as I am learning about the process and plans behind the chaos, you were living it!

My grandfather was on the ship DD-860, USS McCaffery and on their way to Vietnam in 1972. His ship was involved with all three kinds of combat activities; plane guarding, gun-line duty, and linebacker duty. He was a part of the Battle of Bright and Day. Knowing the man that he is today, I am so lucky and thankful to have him in my life. I never got the chance to talk to him about his experiences and what it was like when he served, but I know he is proud of what he did and would do it all over again if he could. He did meet my grandma when he was stationed in the Philippines so he better do it all over again, otherwise I would not be here expressing my appreciation for you! LOL! One memory that he and the other men on his ship loved was when they received mail from their own families just like you are right now.

Being at the age where I can realize, but not fully understand, what it takes to have the courage and the will to fight for our country, especially in places that I could not point out onto a map, is beyond what words can describe and my mind can imagine. Even as a seventeen year old girl, I would always stand up for our flag! We may have just met, but I want you to know that there are millions of people who are thankful for who you are, what you do, and what you have done. I would be happy to pray for you and any special needs that you might have. Thank you for everything.

With Heartfelt Thanks,
                                Ryan F