Gregory Sarkauskas Construction Superintendant | Teen Ink

Gregory Sarkauskas Construction Superintendant

May 11, 2009
By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
26 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Gregory Sarkauskas is 51 years old. He is a family man that loves to be at home spending time with his family. He also likes to fish with his two best friends. Gregory has been a superintendant for 23 years.
What do you enjoy most about your job?
I get to do what I enjoy most. Fortunately for me, I'm working in a field doing exactly what I love doing, building things. And I get paid for it! I have power over almost everyone at my job.
What do you dislike about your job?
The long hours. I wake up at 4:30 in the morning, get to work at 6:00, leave work at 3:30, and get home around 6:30-7:00. This is one thing I dislike because I don't get to spend a whole lot of time with my family, and I really wish I had more time to spend with them.
What job did you grow up wanting?
You're not going to believe this, but I grew up wanting to be the guy who runs the big construction sites, and build stuff. I am not quite sure why, but I have just always wanted to be a superintendant. I'm saying I didn't have fantasies about super cool jobs like a rock star or movie star. I'm saying that this is the only job I have ever seriously considered.
Why did you want your job?
It was an opportunity for me to fulfill my dream from childhood. Plus, I get to be the top dog. I have more power than anyone else on my jobsite. I could fire somebody on the spot for the simplest of reasons. And I like that kind of power.
What is your typical day like?
Every day poses new challencges and deadlines. Each week there are more milestones that need to be accomplished. There is NEVER a dull moment. Today, a local news crew came to my job and offered to interview me about the school I'm building; I declined but told them to go ask the other guys. In a few weeks, the Mayor of Chicago is coming to the school opening. They are also trying to get President Obama to come.
What would you change about your job?
I would like to get better assistants with more experience. Every day I work with stupid people. They can't do anything for themselves; not even think on their own. I have to tell them what to do, every single step of the way. If it wasn't for me, nothing would ever get done at work. I also would change the hours. I don't think I get paid enough for all the extra hours I put in to get my job finished on time. And it's never my fault that the job got behind in the first place. Usually, it's the contractors that can't come up with the money on time, but want the job finished on time. Even though it's behind four months because of them.