How to Drive Large Vehicles | Teen Ink

How to Drive Large Vehicles

February 12, 2024
By Anonymous

“Confidence is key,” Nathan Reimer says; Reimer is well experienced when it comes to driving heavy duty/large vehicles. Reimer has been driving large cars ever since he was able to drive because both of his parents drive big vehicles (GMC Yukon XL, and Chevy Tahoe). Reimer was forced to learn how to drive big vehicles. There are upsides and downsides to driving a big vehicle, although if you try it, I can assure you it is rewarding and a fun experience.


Large vehicles are much safer than smaller cars because larger cars are usually higher up and heavier which makes you safer in an accident. Larger vehicles also tend to have more built in safety features which allows a safer driving experience. 


Large vehicles are not the end all be all though. Large vehicles usually are far less fuel efficient than smaller more compact vehicles. This can hinder your ability to “ball on a budget” meaning more or less it's going to be more expensive to own and operate a large vehicle. 


First, before you even put the vehicle in drive, make sure you have adjusted your seat height, mirrors, and distance from the steering wheel. Next, make sure you know and understand the size of the vehicle, this will help when you need to estimate when to turn or if you will be able to fit through certain openings. Lastly, Nathan says “take it slow” he doesn't mean a certain speed the quote “take it slow” means you should take as much time as you need to think through things along with driving at speeds you feel comfortable with and it's always better to just take your time to make sure you and the vehicle are safe.

 

There are pros and cons to driving a big vehicle although if you try it Reimer can assure you it is rewarding and a fun experience with all the extra room to be able to drive your friends and carry extra gear.


The author's comments:

This was a class assessment in that we got assigned a partner to interview them on something they are an expert on I had the chance to interview Nathen Reimer on How to Drive Large Vehicles. Throughout the interview, Nathen was very professional and helpful with all my questions.   


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.