How to do a Backflip | Teen Ink

How to do a Backflip

By 5sevcik BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5sevcik BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Learning a backflip is not as scary as everyone makes it out to be, you just have to “Send it,” says Addi Kowalewski, a 12-year gymnast. When beginning to learn this skill, you should make sure to have a spotter who is someone who is aware and is informed on how to help such as someone who already knows the skill or is familiar with it. Also be ready with all necessary equipment.

To learn a backflip, you should have an experienced person who can help to spot you making sure you will not land on your neck or head.  After finding a spotter, find a soft surface you can begin learning on to decrease the chances of injuring yourself. Knowing how to do a backflip on a trampoline is also a recommendation, but it is not necessary.  

To begin, be sure to stretch, this includes arms and legs but most importantly be sure to stretch your wrists and ankles. Stretching will help reduce the risk of injury by increasing your flexibility. Next, practice jumping backwards onto the mat. Do not jump up, make it into a motion where you jump from standing onto your back on the mat. This will give you the feel of jumping backwards. After this step practice jumping high as you jump onto your back to get a better feel of the motion. For this skill to have a good outcome, you must be able to jump high off the ground. Next move onto the ground and practice rolling backwards to help your body realize which way it will be going. Then begin to move onto your mat or other soft surface slowly putting the steps together. Always make sure your spotter is ready to catch you when you try the real flip. 

Once you make it into the air, always be sure to commit to the trick. If you have second thoughts while in the air this can lead to a neck or back injury.  When trying with no mat, have your spotter close and ready to assist you if needed. Repeat the steps until you feel comfortable and never try if you are not ready.

When asking my expert on how this skill is learned I asked what steps they took when they had started along with the steps they took in preparation. I made sure to include information that would be easiest to interpret and would help take the reader through every step. There was not much information I had to leave out as everything was very helpful for the  learning process. I organized the piece by putting through steps in chronological order and putting them into steps that would be the most beneficial. I tried to make this piece interesting by getting more into detail with the steps to best explain every step without having a way to show it. I did enjoy writing this but it was more difficult to describe considering this is an all hands on skill to learn but I am only able to describe it through words.