How to Become an Expert Cannonballer | Teen Ink

How to Become an Expert Cannonballer

By katieahs PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
katieahs PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Make sure you are at least five feet away from the edge of the pool before you start to run,” says Emily Newman, a teenager from Nashotah, Wisconsin, and an expert cannonballer. Despite being so young, her practice in her home pool for years and years never fails to impress others. She captivates anyone who gets the chance to see her extraordinary skills. Her splash height is immense, reaching heights of over 15 feet, leaving audiences in awe, making her one of the best cannonballers around town. 

“Sprint like a cheetah and get as much height as you can before entering a tight tuck position, bracing for impact.” After thousands of cannonballs and tons of experience, Newman knows what she’s talking about. She uses this knowledge to teach others how to become even half as talented as her. She takes pride in sharing her expertise with others, conducting cannonball classes in her pool with the kids around the neighborhood. One of her most common tips: “No plugging your nose!” she screams, “You need your arms to secure your tuck position.” Sure enough, her advice added extra splash to her students' cannonballs.  

Newman’s passion for cannonballing fuels her dedication to teaching and sharing her ways. In the world of cannonballing, Newman stands as an influencer to many, posting tips on her social media account, getting community wide attention. Her students are thankful to have been given the opportunity to learn from an expert. This unique sport makes Emily Newman stand out in the crowd as she hopes to share her talent with the world.