How To Cook | Teen Ink

How To Cook

February 12, 2024
By elliebognar BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
elliebognar BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Burning the house down is a major risk. “I started cooking when I was 11,” says Diego Hernandez, senior at Arrowhead High School located in Wisconsin, who loves cooking Hispanic foods. If you’re just starting out, watching YouTube tutorials is a good idea for self taught cooks. “When my parents started leaving me home alone, cooking was a useful skill.”


If you’re trying your hand at cooking, your most important tool is the internet as it is a excellent place to start for beginners and useful for people who want quick, easy tutorials at the push of a button. Even Cooking Channel TV shows have websites for their viewers to visit and try out recipes included on the show.  


By 12, Hernandez was practicing his hispanic foods, specifically tacos. Hernandez says he watched a lot of Gordon Ramsey. When it comes to Ramsey, across many of his shows, he showcases award winning dishes that are fit for five-star restaurants. Ramsey’s website boasts recipes ranging from Roast Beef with Caramelized Onion Gravy to Texas Hanger Steak Tacos—Hernandez’s favorite type of dish. 


According to Hernandez, “The hardest thing about making tacos is cooking the meat and not letting the oil or fat splash on you.” 


Ideas for toppings can include shredded cheese, lettuce, jalapeño slices, sliced black olives, chopped tomatoes, and diced white onions. According to Folk Life Magazine, “[Tacos] are one of those dishes that we can choose to carry with us when we cross borders, and that is because of its versatile and simple essence.”


Of course, as with a lot of things, cooking can go wrong including burning or hurting yourself or causing major damages. According to CKDirect, the most common kitchen injuries are cutting fingers or hands, slipping on wet floors, and fires or burns.“I think I’ve burned myself at least seven times now,” says Hernandez. Minor burns can be treated easily by running cold water over the affected area or using petroleum jelly to cover the burn. 


Hernandez says, “I love to eat the food I cook.” Cooking is fun, rewarding and can be a social activity. Not to mention, being able to prepare a dish allows you to use creativity and originality. According to Brabantia, “You are making your own, unique masterpiece with flavors and textures. Cooking is also great to relax and unwind, letting all your worries melt away like butter in a pan.”