The Perfect Breakfast | Teen Ink

The Perfect Breakfast

By 4otte BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4otte BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

People around the world wake up in the morning, dry mouth, yearning for something to fill me up and get me ready for the day. But nowadays, it’s hard to find something that not only fills you up, but is healthy and beneficial for you. I thought this problem was unsolvable until I met Will Stelpflug, someone who has made avocado toast every morning before school since eighth grade, using a recipe he learned from his grandfather, a chef from Italy.

After Will described to me the several immune system benefits from avocado toast, like the healthy fats from avocados, the protein from the eggs and turkey, and the natural sodium and gut protection from the sea salt and sourdough bread, I was convinced to learn how to make it, and he taught me just that.

It’s not many ingredients, mainly foods you could find at your house or local grocery store: an avocado, a slice of bread, a lime, a pinch of salt, two eggs, a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and 3 slices of turkey. “Cut your avocado in half, mash it up, and mix it with salt and lime,” Stelpflug described. This will later be spread onto the toast. Put bread in the toaster and while it toasts, “Crack eggs into a pan on the stove and lightly scramble by applying constant motion to the eggs with a spatula. Once scrambled, flip and add cheese and turkey”, says Stelpflug. While that cooks, take the toast out of the toaster and spread the avocado on top. After a minute, the eggs will be done and can be placed on the toast.

It’s not a hard recipe, I’m sure everyone could do it. It provides benefits for your health, does not take too long, and gets you ready for the day.

This piece was made from an interview will Will Stelpflug, grandson of a professional chef who loves making avocado toast. It describes the health benefits of the toast and goes step for step on how to make it.