How To Perfect Baking | Teen Ink

How To Perfect Baking

By shannonk23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
shannonk23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

You may have heard the quote “Practice makes perfect” many times throughout your life for a wide variety of reasons. This was Katie Curry’s piece of advice on how to perfect your baking skills even if you are just starting out. A positive about baking is that it is a hobby you can begin at any point in your life. Katie, who is 18, has been baking independently for 12 years. She took on this skill from her grandmother when they would bake together as child. Curry’s favorite thing to bake and decorate is sugar cookies. 

It is important to be patient; trial and error is key. As well as this, you need to measure and read recipes accurately. “The perfect recipe might not be posted somewhere, sometimes you need to tweak the measurements to make it perfect,” Curry says. The outcome with baking is the satisfaction of seeing everyone enjoy something you just put a large amount of effort into. Sugar cookies take hours and sometimes entire days to create. Decorating each cookie individually requires patience and endurance to make sure they all turn out good. “The consistency of the icing is the most important factor of decorating. It can’t be too thin or too thick otherwise it won’t work.” Katies advice on practice makes perfect still stands, the perfect consistency won’t come right away, it takes practice and experience knowing what will work. 

Baking is something that can be done as a pastime and if you find enjoyment in baking it can become a fun hobby to take on. You can share your recipes and baked goods with friends and family and receive feedback. Make sure to remember, “The first one won’t always be the best” according to Curry. It takes a lot of repetition to get the most perfect recipe and outcome.