Expressing Emotions Through Music | Teen Ink

Expressing Emotions Through Music

February 12, 2024
By tylercarnell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
tylercarnell SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Jace Gilbert’s music side hustle had started two years ago, in 2022. The focus of his music career had specifically been about rap music. The feeling of love for rapping came to him while he had grown to enjoy NBA YoungBoy’s work, a popular rap artist today. Gilbert wants to spread awareness on how rap music can change someone's total mindset. For example, he tends to play his rap playlist, containing his own music and NBA YoungBoy’s music before he participates in football or basketball games. This inspired him to start making his own music inside of his homemade music studio located inside of his mother’s garage.

In the earlier part of Gilbert’s rapping career, he had found it difficult to find topics he could sing about. Gilbert had said, “I found out that finding a beat first, in which you can find your flow, will help with finding lyrics.” Before thinking about what to rap about, you need to find a beat that you enjoy. With two years of experience, Gilbert ascertained to, “ rap from your heart, the rhyme and the rhythm will come along for the ride.” This is important because rapping about something that is enjoyable is much easier to do than rapping about something not important to you. Doing so, the words will come together and will fit into the beat you are already familiar with. For example, Gilbert said he enjoys rapping about love. All of his creations relate to writing about love stories which occurred in his personal life.

Rapping is an art that takes practice. No one is able to jump into a studio and start rapping with perfection. Music takes practice. Messing up words and having to restart is completely normal. Gilbert, familiar with this problem, stated, “Mixing certain lines is common, but stay focused on each line in order to gain grounds on the song.” Gilbert hopes that he can inspire the youth to pursue hobbies that you love and to spread positivity throughout the world.