How To Sleep | Teen Ink

How To Sleep

By 5jonesm BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5jonesm BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

“The average person should get at least eight hours of sleep per night. About one-third of the population say they get less than seven hours of sleep each night,” said Molly Thusius.  This is not healthy and leads to many health problems and tiredness throughout the day. Thusius has spent two years focusing on ways to improve sleep. 

To begin with, it is important to get into a routine to keep your sleep schedule consistent. Frequently, people find themselves tired throughout the day, but right before bed, it is hard to fall asleep. Molly recently has been going to the gym about two hours before bed to let out her final energy. This allows her to come home and start to relax her body. After returning from the gym, taking a hot shower allows for a rejuvenation of your body. 

Feeling clean before bed is important to have the best experience. Find pajamas that are conformable and appropriate for the season you are in. “In summer, you should wear shorts and a t-shirt, and in winter, you should wear long pajama pants and a long sleeve shirt,” said Thusius. Next, Thusius says that you should never sleep with socks on. Socks provide discomfort while sleeping and decrease your sleeping experience. Next, it is important to sleep in complete darkness because it allows your eyes to relax and not be fixated on a small light within the room. 

“I one hundred percent recommend a weighted blanket,” said Thusius. After lots of research, Thusius concluded that weighted blankets stimulate serotonin, reduce cortisol, and increase levels of melatonin, benefiting your ability to sleep. Once adjusted into a comfortable position, allow for either a sound machine or a meditation video to play in the background. “Sound machines are beneficial to help you fall into a deep sleep,” said Thusius. It is also important that no electronics are by you when falling asleep. Make sure that you take into consideration what time you have to wake up to make sure you get to bed at a reasonable time. 

If all these steps are followed properly, there should be no issue of getting proper sleep and allowing you to feel energized throughout your whole day.

I was interested in getting better sleep. I talked with an expert, Molly Thusius, about the best steps to take to get good sleep.