Interview with Special Education Teacher Kim L. | Teen Ink

Interview with Special Education Teacher Kim L.

Kim L. is my mother. She was an art major, but soon after became a teacher. She now teaches special education at Roy Deshane School in Carol Stream.

Why did you choose to become a teacher?

My father good job for a woman.

Do you think that you showed any skills for being a teacher as a young person? What were these skills?

Yes, I liked working with people and explaining how to do things. I liked to take positions of leadership in almost everything.

What are the requirements for you job?

I think that you personally need patience. I think you need the to meet the learner and where they are at in their learning. You need to have a collage education and a collage degree.

What do you enjoy about teaching?

I like to see students doing something they thought that they would never be able to do.

What do you enjoy about teaching?

I like teaching kids things that they can relate to their own lives so that they can have a connection to what they learn.

Is there anything that you don’t like about your job?

I don’t like students who are disrespectful. I don’t like the teachers that can’t handle the behavior kids.

How do you feel, after finishing a year of school, and having your students move on?

I think it is great. It is exciting to see what they have learned from you. To see them grow up and take what they have learned to the next level.

Is there any reason you chose special education as your subject?

I originally was an art major. I loved all the arts and I was ready to become a performer. I decided that I didn’t want to perform and I became a teacher. For the special education, I wanted to teach art, but after teaching for a year I went back to school for more education. I went back to learn about behavior problems and I realized that teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic was more important then teaching art.