Ana Julia | Teen Ink

Ana Julia

By cabi816 GOLD, Greenville, South Carolina
cabi816 GOLD, Greenville, South Carolina

ï‚Ÿ
Name: Ana Julia
ï‚Ÿ
Hometown: Caracas, Venezuela
ï‚Ÿ
Have in always lived in Caracas? No, she lived in Miami when she was 11 because of the petroleum strike in Venezuela. The strike caused for everything to be shut down.
ï‚Ÿ
Did you like living in Miami? Yes, but went to two different schools. She liked the second but not the first because there were both genders at the first school and it was a large change. Her father didn't live in Miami at that time either.
ï‚Ÿ
What do you want to do in the future? Two options: either come to Exeter and attend a PG year and then go on to college in the US, or stay in Venezuela. She feels as though this decision is a live deciding choice.
ï‚Ÿ
What do you want to be? A writer or a psychologist or a business economist
ï‚Ÿ
What is most important to you? family, friends
ï‚Ÿ
In what ways are you liberal? Open-minded, pro-choice, pro gay-rights, and adamantly against sexist discrimination.
ï‚Ÿ
What do your parents do? Mother is the president of a non-profit women's rights organization father is a banker
ï‚Ÿ
What has been your most influential occurrence? Her parents divorcing. Now they're back together. She says that she was spoiled and immature before. She has grown because if parents got divorced again, she feels as though she'd be much less affected.
ï‚Ÿ
What is the largest issue facing Venezuela? Poverty; 70% of population is poor. Sexism is a huge issue as well. 50% of women don't work. Men tell them that they can't work and that women should take care of the children. Men feel as though they're superior and have a "right" over women. Kidnappings and gangs. Ger mother was kidnapped twice when she was 7.
ï‚Ÿ
How should these issues be changed? The government has lots of oil money and doesn't use it to help fund the people. He should use it to improve the number of poor and promote equality among the sexes.
ï‚Ÿ
Who do you most look up to? Family in general. She values the qualities of older siblings and parents. Mom is determined but flexible. Dad has good business sense. Old sister is a doctor and studies hard and works really hard. older brother studied here and at the University of Pennsylvania
ï‚Ÿ
Favorite part of Venezuela? The beach and the people. The beaches are beautiful because they have coral reefs, blue water and light sand. At night you can see shooting stars. The people are warm-hearted. Everyone knows everyone and they have a small social circle in Caracas because of so many poor.
ï‚Ÿ
What is your main goal in life? She lives her life to be happy but to not her herself nor anyone else.
ï‚Ÿ
What is your favorite class and why? creative writing because she loves to write poetry because she can express herself. also enjoys gender studies.
ï‚Ÿ
notes from the shadow:
ï‚Ÿ
went to the grill
ï‚Ÿ
lively when speaks Spanish a little quieter when speaks English
ï‚Ÿ
maybe this is because she has known the people longer who she speaks Spanish with or maybe it's because she is more comfortable with Spanish
ï‚Ÿ
giggles with friends and jokes around
ï‚Ÿ
has a sense of ease and confidence
ï‚Ÿ
wears a blue tennis outfit
ï‚Ÿ
rolls her eyes when one of the boys says or does something entertaining
ï‚Ÿ
is a vocal member of the group and easily states her ideas
ï‚Ÿ
when speaking English, most of these same qualities apply
ï‚Ÿ
she is less loud and vocal but still rolls her eyes
ï‚Ÿ
when taking the interview in our common room she plays with her hair and the interview progresses
ï‚Ÿ
flips through magazines
ï‚Ÿ
shows conviction about her beliefs when talking about important things such as human rights
ï‚Ÿ
dreamy attitude when talking about love or poetry or her ambitions
ï‚Ÿ
relaxed
ï‚Ÿ
sits reclined giving off a indifferent attitude towards any worries