Lisa K: Where is she now? | Teen Ink

Lisa K: Where is she now?

October 14, 2008
By Anonymous

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Lisa K. said after being asked how she balances a job, child, and being a firefighter’s wife. Lisa is a 1998 graduate of Elkton Public High School. I caught up with her to see how life has changed for her since graduating ten years ago.


Q: Where were you born?
A: I was born in Elkton, South Dakota.

Q: Who are your parents?
A: Larry and Kristi Thielen.

Q: How many siblings do you have?
A: Four: Andy, Jon, Mike and Lindsey.

Q: Where did you graduate from high school?
A: Elkton High School.

Q: Did you attend college? Where?
A: Yes, I went to Hennepin College in Eden, Minnesota.

Q: What did you get your degree in?
A: I graduated from college with a degree in Accounting.

Q: How’s life changed for you since graduating from Elkton High School 10 years ago?
A: I have gotten married, and had a son. So far I have owned two houses, and I have completed my education.

Q: What made you want to move, and live in Shakopee, Minnesota?
A: I just really liked the location, and it’s one of the safest suburbs to live in, and there is a low crime rate.

Q: Do you like living within a fairly close distance of your parents?
A: Yes, because it’s close enough if I want to visit them or if I have to go home, yet it’s far enough so they don’t come visit me every weekend.

Q: How is it different living in the suburbs than living on a farm?
A: On the farm you have a lot more privacy; obviously, there is more work on the farm. The city is more convenient if you have to run and get something, plus you get to know your neighbors better since they are so close.

Q: How did you meet you husband, Mick?
A: We met on a blind date set up between mutual friends.


Q: How long did you date before he proposed?
A: About five years.

Q: How did Mick propose?
A: We went out to supper that night, and then we were going to get a drink. In the parking lot after supper is when he proposed. Someone thought he was attacking me because I screamed.

Q: How do you feel being a firefighter/paramedic’s wife?
A: There are a lot of sacrifices with family time. Mick sometimes has to leave at a moment’s notice. For his St. Paul job, I always worry about his safety, but you try not to think about what could happen. He does get some time off so he can be a part-time dad. One good thing is if I ever get into trouble, he can help me.

Q: Is motherhood all you thought it would be?
A: Well, in the seven months that I have been a mom, you don’t really believe the advice until you live it. It’s very exciting. A kid can take over your life, they are all you worry about. The little things that you use to think were so important are small matters compared to your child. I can’t wait to sleep again!

Q: Do you plan on having any more children?
A: Yes, but one at a time.

Q: What company do you work for?
A: I work for Producer’s Choice.

Q: What does your job involve?
A: I am the Accounting Supervisor for a 17 million dollar company. I take care of all the financials. I also handle all of the software, and inventory control. I track sales to keep sales up and inventory down.

Q: Do you enjoy working for this company?
A: Yes, because it is a very family oriented company. We are a co-op and farmer owned so they always want our families to be put first. My boss is very laid back, plus I get to travel to California once a year, because that is where our headquarters is.

Q: How long have you worked for Producer’s Choice?
A: Eight years.

Q: Is it hard to balance a child, husband, and a job?
A: Yes, if you have a stressful day, and Mick is working. But somehow we always make it work. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A: I want to have a cabin on our property, still in Shakopee. I want to be done having kids and living in a new house, with a bigger kitchen.