My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By 0pfalzgraf BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
0pfalzgraf BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

A light airy pink color. Lexi reminds me of a Japanese blossom tree. Like a small tree amongst the tall trees of a thick forest. Yet, one more colorful than the rest. Lexi is a well suited name for a young girl. One that is quiet and loves everything pink. One in her own world surrounded by many others. One that focuses on the important pieces. Short for Alexandra, which is the female version of Alexander. Alexander is the Latin form of the Greek name, Alexandros, which means to defend of men. Otherwise known as the defender of mankind. I believe the name Lexi sounds fragile, but with a tinge of strength and defense.

Ever since she was a little girl, my Mom fell in love with the name Lexi. She yearned to have a girl as her first child. She gave me the middle name Marie. This makes me Lexi Marie, a smooth flowing name. Like a plane parting from the runway on takeoff. Being a popular middle name, it has been passed down by many generations. My Grandma has it, my Mom has it, and I’m pretty sure my Great-Grandmother had it as well. It is reassuring to know my name has an importance in family history.

My name is Lexi Marie. Yes, my full name is Lexi. It is not short for a longer name. Many people wonder why my full name is Lexi. Most people who go by my name have a full name such as Alexandra, Alexis, Alexandria, or Alexa. The name Lexi is different, but not too different. I would never change its uniqueness.

So many names. Lexi, Lex, Lexus, Lexi P 123, LP. The list does not end. My softball teammates call me “Flexi.” My dad used to call me “Lexi Bean” when I was a young, peppy girl. This would always make me laugh. Just as though a bean would grow in the ground, I grew a love for my name.

The name Lexi is a swooping cursive font. Smooth, flowing, and mature. A person named Lexi is outgoing and goes with the flow. Through the aging process the name Lexi deepens into a dark pink red color. Like a young girl starting out as a light pink blossom petal which strengthens as she ages. A light brush of the hand to a tight squeeze. A transition from a Japanese blossom tree petal to a strong rose.