Mark's Recording To Dad | Teen Ink

Mark's Recording To Dad

October 25, 2019
By WallflowerForTheGays PLATINUM, Pasadena, California
WallflowerForTheGays PLATINUM, Pasadena, California
21 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can never have Everest if you don't have a valley."
- Eric Scott Gould


9/10/02

It's been one year, Daddy. I turned 3. I learned to ride a bike this summer. I got my first surfboard from Uncle Andy. Mom says you're in a better place now, and it's called Heaven. I want to see you but Mommy says that God won't let me. Come home. I miss you, Daddy.

9/12/2006

It's been five years, Daddy. Mom says that they're making a memorial about the heroes that died, like you. I finally understand what you sacrificed. Thank you for dying so that others can live. I got a little sister, she's named Sarah. Come home. I miss you, Daddy.

9/13/2008

It's been 7 years, Dad. I got a younger brother, he's named John and he looks like you. Come home. I miss you, Daddy

9/11/2019

It's been eighteen years, Dad. I joined the Air Force. I hope you're proud of all the things I accomplished. I've fallen in love. We got a dog almost three years ago and we named him Winston Churchill Valenzuela because we know how much you would want to name a dog that. Sarah's not doing so well. She misses you. It's affected her mental health a lot. She decided she wants to be a therapist for police officers. I think it's amazing. I hope you do too. Mom misses you. John has been asking about you a lot. Come home. I miss you, Daddy.


The author's comments:

My older brother, Mark, started making recordings every few years on or close to the anniversary of 9/11.

I have decided to share them with you. One of my poems is called A Thin Blue Line, while it may seem confusing, the father I am talking about in this piece is my older brother's biological father.