Regret | Teen Ink

Regret

October 31, 2019
By lauxren3 BRONZE, Center Line, Michigan
lauxren3 BRONZE, Center Line, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On June 4, 2019, I woke up just like any other day.  I got ready fed my dogs and said goodbye to my puppy Luna.  Then I unknowingly would be saying my last and final goodbye to my other dog Baxter for the last time. 


    After school I sadly didn't go home first.  Honestly that is one thing I regret because if I did go home I could of been  prevented but everything happens for a reason you know.  But I could have prevented his death and I still think about that.  But honestly, I would have never known and I can't blame myself because he was a healthy dog.  Baxter was only 9 years old, he didn't show any signs or nothing. He never had any medical problems the only thing was he was chubby, but he could still have fun and play with luna.  The night before he passed he got to go do his favorite thing, and that was to go on a walk.  He loved walks most of all. The walk couldn't have showed signs either, he was perfectly fine and acting normal.  Any ways after school I hung out with my friend we got Wendys and had a good time. When it was time to go home, I wasn't expecting what I seen.  But who would be expecting to see their dead dog on their living room floor. 


    I was the first one home that day.  When I walked in and seen the scene my heart fell to the floor as if I fell off a clift.  I seen 2 piles of blood on the floor and didn't realize.  At first my mind was running around my brain and the fear was like how i feel right now because I might fail this class.  Then I seen Baxter laying on the floor with blood all around him. His eyes and mouth were open and my bebe was twitching. In this moment I was telling my brother “Omg baxter is dying”! I was hysterically  crying and this moment.  He was in the middle of taking his last breath and I seen him.  That broke me. I would never of thought I would have broke down and cried like that. 

   

    When I last saw him he was wrapped in his favorite blanket with his collar.  We all said our last and final goodbyes before we buried him. I remember that was so hard to do. During this time I thought back to all the fun memories I have with him. When I was thinking back I had joy, he was such a fun and lovable dog. But now I feel depressed as my dog is no longer with us.   My mind danced around as my thoughts came to a realization. I couldn't stand to look at him, I was so sad and uneasy.  I specifically said to my mom “is this real” I cried a whole river out.  I made him a tombstone out of this cement block, and I wrote “Baxter 2009-2019. 


The author's comments:

This is my memoir