The Gummy Bears I Wanted to Stay in My Pocket | Teen Ink

The Gummy Bears I Wanted to Stay in My Pocket

By Jasmine Wooten BRONZE, Inglewood, California
Jasmine Wooten BRONZE, Inglewood, California

Do you ever see poems and stories of lost love and broken holes?
Cracks that have never been filled in the crevices of your heart?
Whatver happened to happy poems of fireworks on the Fourth of July,
Instead of the sob stories of lost puppies running away into the fire-lit horizon?

I remember the good old days of kindergarden, when my life was really bad.
I had crayons taken away from me by mean old teachers, who only wanted the best for my 5 yr old mind.
The same mind who was as tough as nails when it came to picking up worms,
But broken down when the 12 year old love of my life left me for another?

Write of happy good times,
Of laughter and rhymes
Because when the chances run away and leave you with nothing but the sugar from those gummy worms you left in your pocket last Wednesday,
You’ll want them back.

I've been looking on this site in the poery section, and I've been looking at a lot of the titles and poems that lie beneath. They seem to be a lot of stories about unattainable love and broken dreams and crushed whatever. It's not like I'm a cold person, but i would really like to see someone write from the deep thoughts that have always lingered in the far corners of the mind. Like times when that kid lost his cape or something.
I don't know, its all repetitive.
But keep up teh good work.
More original stuff.

HBCdance BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

"Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish." - John Jakes

I love it. This is the kind of poetry that I love: the truth, without the fanfare of too much fancy writing, and big, complicated SAT words. You're a very, very good poet, and I think you could really make a difference with your work.